What kind of fern is this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Two types I have in mind are the ostrich fern or the cinnamon fern. Or something else? Which one could it be? Anyone know? They are like 3 feet tall.

BRkYvLk.jpg

uvUP3e5.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks like the fern I have in my shade garden if so its a cinnamon fern. the grow wild all over the North east.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Are you sure? Because this fern gets like 3-4 hours of sunlight and although it is located right next to my pond, the ground isn't constantly moist and I know that cinnamon ferns need to be in wet areas. Do cinnamon ferns have a certain smell?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are you sure? Because this fern gets like 3-4 hours of sunlight and although it is located right next to my pond, the ground isn't constantly moist and I know that cinnamon ferns need to be in wet areas. Do cinnamon ferns have a certain smell?
Cinnamon will grow in the sun also they are a very hardy plant. I don't know if they have a sent. you might know it as a fiddlehead fern I think they may be the same plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok so its definitely not an ostrich fern? I really can't see the difference between the cinnamon and ostrich

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think @Fernsdaddy is right. I have fiddlehead ferns in front of my house. They are really common here too. They get several hours of sun every day, I almost never water them and they are vigorous things. :) If it wasn't still dark I'd go take a photo, if I remember I'll do it later so you can compare.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Huh. Got me, I googled the difference and unless you plan on eating the fiddleheads (I don't) the difference is slight. Here's mine. They seem to have slightly broader and blunter leaves than yours.
20160702_073937.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So yours is a cinnamon fern and mine looks slightly different than yours which means my fern is not a cinnamon ? I also searched the differences between the two but didn't state much about it :/

Ask a Question