What is this insect and how do I get rid of it

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a novice fruit gardener and have been researching for a while and how to grow some fruit trees in my backyard. I have a few trees that I got and planted over the last week. I noticed that when watering them I found some little holes in the leaves and upon closer inspection I found tons of these little insects on the trees. I've tried to research what they are and I've looked through a few of my books and they appear to be fruit flies but I could be incorrect. Are these the insects that are eating all of the holes in my leaves? What can I do to get rid of them? I went to a gardening store and they recommended an insect spray which I used once and was not effective. I also read the sprays are not good to use cause they also kill good insects. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 243
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is not a fruit fly. That looks like a type of parasitic wasp and he is probably eating what made the holes in your leaves. But if you want to get rid of them spray with spinosad, a totally harmless organic spray made from a soil bacteria.

Ask a Question