What is the oldest house plant you have?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My dad has a philodendron that is about 50 years old, it was his mothers, this thing is massive. He wraps it around a huge pieces of driftwood at Christmas time in a shape of a Christmas tree and puts lights no it. He has gave each kids starters off of it, I recently bought a house and he gave us my starter off it! I think it is a pretty cool plant and I know that someday it will probably be mine. Do you have a old plant that has been pasted down in your family?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
My mom's friend presented her a little Christmas tree in a pot. These trees dry up after the holiday, and they were thrown away. Mom watered it, and in the spring planted in the garden. Now my mother died and the tree lives. We call it Mom's tree.

Reaction score
My grandfather left us a tamarind tree which is now 76 years old and still counting and producing fruits. The tree has so far withstood hundreds of strong typhoons and tropical storms. It is quite memorable to us because my grandfather used to harvest fruits from that tree and sell it to market vendors. Neighbors would marvel at this tamarind tree and would sometimes tell us it is 'enchanted'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We have a very old and big Monstera deliciosa. I don't know how old is it, but I think it's older than me. It belonged to my aunt.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is quite amazing. The fact that you could have a plant spanning 50 years of age is quite a heritage. The closest I have to a houseplant is a rosemary plant which I grew from cuttings. It grows very close to the window and refreshes my senses when I go to my hamlet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I thought my Golden Pothos was old, then I inhered a Chinese Evergreen from my MIL that's gotta be a few decades old

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a Jade Tree that is 102 and a Christmas Cactus that is 95. They both belonged to my Great-Grandmother. There is also a Sanseviera that she got from her mother, so I don't know how old that one is.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a Jade Tree that is 102 and a Christmas Cactus that is 95. They both belonged to my Great-Grandmother. There is also a Sanseviera that she got from her mother, so I don't know how old that one is.
I got a Jade cutting from a friend, I would love to turn i into a Bosai! ..but the truth is that I'm no good with succulents so I'll be lucky if it survives at all!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know if a Jade could be made into a Bonsai...in my experience, the more you ignore it, the better it grows! Mine sits on the sun porch and weighs about 150 pounds with a trunk 4 inches around. It puts out some nice little white flowers if I let it get very dry between waterings.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have seen white cedar in my mother's home. When I was young , it was a small plant and now I thought it would've been gone. But recently I went to visit my mom and It was still there, strong and beautiful. Don't know why, but I have some attachment with that tree. May be because i've seen it since my childhood :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a peace lily that was given to my daughter about 5 years ago that I took to protect the plant as my daughter is not into plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My colleagues gave me an orchid for my birthday some 10 years ago. I can say that that orchid is the oldest house plant we have. Unfortunately it is not giving us flowers regularly unlike when it was given to us with a blooming flower already. The blooming was regular, every year that is timed for my birth month so that the bloom is like a signal that my birthday is nearing already.Maybe the orchid is very old now that it has difficulty in producing a flower.

Ask a Question