What is the Most Difficult Plant You've Dealt with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Everyone has their own different experiences in the garden, and I was wondering what plants have given you the most trouble. Either due to their constant need for care, lack of a good harvest, ease of dying or other troubles, what plant seems to be the most difficult that you've tried to grow?

For me, it's been a tie between peppers and carrots. My pepper blooms just seem to die off soon after budding, though thanks to some help from around the forum I hope to fix that next season. It's so discouraging to do all that work and try so hard to get them growing only to see tiny buds of hope drop off so soon.

I've only ever tried to grow carrots once, and it was just a disaster. A lot of work and waiting for carrots that were about the size of a peanut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Everyone has their own different experiences in the garden, and I was wondering what plants have given you the most trouble.
Actually, the pests are the thing who are bringing me trouble. The plants usually grow fine if I give them proper conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Everyone has their own different experiences in the garden, and I was wondering what plants have given you the most trouble. Either due to their constant need for care, lack of a good harvest, ease of dying or other troubles, what plant seems to be the most difficult that you've tried to grow?

For me, it's been a tie between peppers and carrots. My pepper blooms just seem to die off soon after budding, though thanks to some help from around the forum I hope to fix that next season. It's so discouraging to do all that work and try so hard to get them growing only to see tiny buds of hope drop off so soon.

I've only ever tried to grow carrots once, and it was just a disaster. A lot of work and waiting for carrots that were about the size of a peanut.
One secret to growing carrots is to water more than you think is needed. When watering them make sure you water very deeply. They are also fairly heavy feeders or at least they are in alkaline soils.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Manzanita and Avacado
Both are very soil moisture and soil drainage sensitive. I hope to be retrying Manzanita again soon. At one time earlier in my gardening experience it was Gardenia, but I got a handle on that once I better understood soil Ph better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
As I had said, I am not the gardener in the house but you can call me an apprentice. A few months ago, a colleague asked for the planting material of dragon fruit. My husband taught me how and in my excitement, I was the one who cut the stem that is about a foot long. I didn't know that the thorns could hurt me. And it did. I was pricked many times, huh. I wouldn't forget that so I advice everyone to wear garden gloves before handling the dragon fruit plant.

Reaction score
African violets, that is for sure. the hardest thing I have tried to successfully grow. Those are so picky! No idea how some people manage to grow them with almost no issues (my grandma did).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
A Daphne can be tricky, have to select the right one, not all created equal. And certain Hydrangeas need particular attention to find the right one for the space, some needing couple years before they want to bloom. But in general, no real issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I've been in constant war with my neighbor's cats. They liked to chew my plants and scratch my pots for some reason, but since my dog beat the meows out of them last week, they haven't returned (I'm so proud of my dog, hell yeah).

So the plant's themselves grow quite good in my yard, the problems are external most of the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I once tried growing watermelon one year, and that was the year the midwest had a major drought...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Try growing Dionysia! They need keeping the top growth utterly dry while watering the roots with highly oxygenated ice cold water from below. Extra UV light and absolutely no draughts at all, if you do not want botrytis on the cushions.

Ask a Question