What is it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
IMG_20150506_190910.jpg Any ideas???? I am completely stumped. They just appeared out of nowhere. I think it is a weed, but hubby seems to think he has some "exotic" plant growing! LOL
IMG_20150506_190910.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not sure, but I am in Michigan zone 6a and whatever that is, is rampant and wild around my house, including in my containers. They are not unnatractive and I let them be as long as they are not displacing something else I prefer...but definitely not exotic.

To me a weed is anything you don't want around. I like dandelions. :) Luckily I am semi-rural and none of my neighbors care about manicured lawns.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
What a pretty wild growth. Roses were also wild once upon a time :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Not sure, but I am in Michigan zone 6a and whatever that is, is rampant and wild around my house, including in my containers. They are not unnatractive and I let them be as long as they are not displacing something else I prefer...but definitely not exotic.

To me a weed is anything you don't want around. I like dandelions. :) Luckily I am semi-rural and none of my neighbors care about manicured lawns.

We love dandelions. We live on 5 acres of woods and usually anything with color stays! lol I just wondered what they were because as you can see they just "popped up" in our containers. LOL

Reaction score
Any ideas???? I am completely stumped. They just appeared out of nowhere. I think it is a weed, but hubby seems to think he has some "exotic" plant growing!

Although I'm not 100% sure - but think your plant very probably belongs to the Verbena family and possibly may even be one of the Tuberous Vervains - which although they do normally have purplish colored flowers can sometimes have very pale lilac or white flowers :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen that plant before but have no idea the name of the plant. I agree a weed is any plant you do not want, so if you like the plant let it be. I have a friend that has a yard full of weeds and is very happy with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I went out to see if I had any of whatever it is (verbena?) so I could take a photo and compare. None coming up yet, or at least large enough to identify though.
For sure I get it in my perennial beds. I let it flower to help birds and pollinators, then pull it if it's in the way of something else.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant pictured in the OP is Field Pennycress (Thlaspi arvense), a white-flowered, annual Crucifer (Brassicaceae), native to most of temperate Eurasia, as well as Japan and Sakhalin, and also widespread introduced weed in North America, the British Isles and elsewhere. It is sometimes intentionally grown as either a cover crop, oil crop or both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corncob

Latest Threads