What herbs do you like to grow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently only growing basil, mint and coriander, but these are the simplest herbs I've found to grow. I'm looking to expand my herb garden, and I'm looking to find some other relatively simple herbs to grow. I love oregano and dill, but I'm unsure about starting to grow them.

What herbs do you like to grow?

Reaction score
Right now I can't grow much, but next year after the move I plan to grow basil, coriander, marjoram, thyme and mint :) I use those herbs a lot for cooking, so I plan to grow some in little pots :) I like to make tea with the mint, this time I want to try my luck with other varieties of mint though.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have planted aloe Vera in my garden. I do sell it's lives for some cash. I am planning to add more aloe trees in my garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I love herbs and will try to grow any of them except cilantro. We have a dedicated herb garden, and pots of herbs scattered around the back yard. Gathering the herbs amounts to a pretty healthy walk!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grow sweet basil, cilantro, regular mint and chocolate mint! Last year, I added rosemary and thyme too since my son when he is home, he worked abroad, he loves cooking with rosemary and thyme. I am planing on growing some other herbs next year along these common ones that we use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My favorite herb is basil, because it smells lovely:love: I also like growing mint, lemon balm, thyme and oregano.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We also have basil but I like mint more because it is prolific and not choosy with care. In fact, we do not tend it anymore and it just grows and expans with their roots. With basil, it is also prolific and sometimes I mix it with omelets. But when we have house guests, mint is always part of the meal since guests are used to our mint on the plate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't have much luck with mint:( It didn't want to grow in my previous apartment. Most of my herbs died there. From now on, I'll only grow sweet basil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We also have basil but I like mint more because it is prolific and not choosy with care. In fact, we do not tend it anymore and it just grows and expans with their roots. With basil, it is also prolific and sometimes I mix it with omelets. But when we have house guests, mint is always part of the meal since guests are used to our mint on the plate.

Basil and omelette sounds like a tasty combo Corzhens. My mint was growing well but seemed to gat a bit tasteless. I've pulled it out and now seems to have disappeared which is apparently unusual as its can be a bit of a pest. I do like it so I'll try again. Basil I fond difficult to grow. the snails love it as much as I do.:confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't have much luck with mint:( It didn't want to grow in my previous apartment. Most of my herbs died there. From now on, I'll only grow sweet basil.

Mint is actually the most prolific of herbs in our garden. You need not tend it and as long as it gets minimal water, it will spread like wildfire. Our planter box which is planted with mint was cleaned by my husband last month. He removed all the mint since we have mint in another planter box. But last week, I noticed some mint growing with some leaves already. My husband said that some roots were left and those roots continued with their life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Mint is actually the most prolific of herbs in our garden. You need not tend it and as long as it gets minimal water, it will spread like wildfire. Our planter box which is planted with mint was cleaned by my husband last month. He removed all the mint since we have mint in another planter box. But last week, I noticed some mint growing with some leaves already. My husband said that some roots were left and those roots continued with their life.
My mint didn't want to grow:( It's possible my previous apartment was too dark. The new one is a much better place for growing plants. I think I'll buy more herbs and give mint another try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My mint didn't want to grow:( It's possible my previous apartment was too dark. The new one is a much better place for growing plants. I think I'll buy more herbs and give mint another try.

I guess mint wants sunshine because our mint is planted in the planter box in the front yard where sunlight is ample especially in the morning. Maybe you just plant your mint in a pot and expose it to the sun every other day at first and after a month you can expose it at least one day a week.

Here is our mint that is growing profusely from the leftover roots.
IMG_4140 mint.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I guess mint wants sunshine because our mint is planted in the planter box in the front yard where sunlight is ample especially in the morning. Maybe you just plant your mint in a pot and expose it to the sun every other day at first and after a month you can expose it at least one day a week.

Here is our mint that is growing profusely from the leftover roots. View attachment 8213
Thank you for the advice. I think I'll start growing mint in my new kitchen. It will get a lot of sunshine there.
Your mint looks very healthy!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have mint coming up every year and it often pops up in unexpected places!
This year I'm not growing anything but sweet basil and oregano, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have just rotovated a large part of an elderly couple's allotment which had become overrun with mint.

Atm I'm growing Basil, Chives, Coriander, Dill, Mint, Oregano, Parsley and Rosemary.
I've had the Rosemary for years, but this year is the first it has flowered.

Ask a Question