What fruits can I plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've done my research, but still feel like I really don't have a good answer. I live in Missouri and have a small side yard where my garden is growing. If I were to do fruit trees, I'd probably want to start them in containers/pots (I've read that's a thing?). I might be moving soon as well and wouldn't want to leave them. I live in Missouri, it's still pretty rainy here but generally warm. What fruits can I plant and how should I go about it? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've done my research, but still feel like I really don't have a good answer. I live in Missouri and have a small side yard where my garden is growing. If I were to do fruit trees, I'd probably want to start them in containers/pots (I've read that's a thing?). I might be moving soon as well and wouldn't want to leave them. I live in Missouri, it's still pretty rainy here but generally warm. What fruits can I plant and how should I go about it? Thanks in advance!
You would do better by purchasing small trees and keeping them in containers until you move. If you start from seed it will be years and years before the plant will fruit. Most fruit trees are grafted onto a mature root stock and will, most times fruit the year after purchase. If you buy what is called an own root tree (grown from its own seed or from a cutting from that seed) it should fruit in 4-6 years, depending on how old it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You would do better by purchasing small trees and keeping them in containers until you move. If you start from seed it will be years and years before the plant will fruit. Most fruit trees are grafted onto a mature root stock and will, most times fruit the year after purchase. If you buy what is called an own root tree (grown from its own seed or from a cutting from that seed) it should fruit in 4-6 years, depending on how old it is.

Thanks! I didn't plan on starting any from seeds, but my daughter loves her some fruit so I want to be able to get those started so we can have fresh fruit and smoothies since we are going to be planting some watermelon. Even if they aren't ready this year. :)
Can most fruit trees thrive generally anywhere warm? I'm thinking along the lines of orange, lime/lemon, and strawberry if that's possible. I know strawberry's would be fine, but I'm clueless about the rest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks! I didn't plan on starting any from seeds, but my daughter loves her some fruit so I want to be able to get those started so we can have fresh fruit and smoothies since we are going to be planting some watermelon. Even if they aren't ready this year. :)
Can most fruit trees thrive generally anywhere warm? I'm thinking along the lines of orange, lime/lemon, and strawberry if that's possible. I know strawberry's would be fine, but I'm clueless about the rest.
All citrus are cold sensitive. There are a couple of varieties of satsuma which can withstand a moderate freeze.

Apples are iffy in warmer places but everything else does great

Ask a Question