What Flowers Keeps Away Critters?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
I thought it was marigolds that keep squirrels away, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Is this the right type of flower that I'm thinking of? How exactly does it deter them and does it work for rabbits as well? I have a major rabbit problem and am hoping that I can found a type of flower to keep them away from my strawberries without needing to spray my plants with poison?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've always heard that marigolds kept deer away, they don't like the smell, I think, but I don't know about rabbits. I think they eat pretty much anything.

As far as keeping them out of the strawberries, buy some landscape netting (you should be able to get it at Lowes or somewhere similar). Then drape it over the berries and put rocks or bricks on the edges to weight in down. It makes harvesting the berries a little more difficult, as you have to move the netting every time, but it's effective in keeping the birds, and I would think, the bunnies away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
tobacco scraps and broken leaves will keep some varmints at bay, others like groundhogs and rabbits are deterred only by strong fences and .22s, even then a ground hog can climb....

big cat urine is supposed to work, my mom swears it does, but I have not tried it personally

Ask a Question