What does your garden smell like?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many plants that give the garden a smell that you love. One of mine is a Honeysuckle plant, I really enjoy the aroma of the Honeysuckle plant. What plants do you plant to give your space the aromas you like.

honeysuckle-vine.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My indoor garden smells like roses and lavender:) It's beautiful! Ever since I remember, I've always loved the scent of roses:love:

Reaction score
Right now my garden smells like wet soil and that is good enough for me :LOL: No other aromas because my other plants are gone, but next year my new garden might smell very differently ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Right now I have a nice size Gardenia in full bloom just to the left of my front door. You can smell it approaching the porch, while your on the porch and in the entry way just inside the house when we keep the front door open. In addition to that my wife keeps a bowl of gardenia flowers on a small table just inside the door. I love Gardenia season :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
Depends where you walk! My elderberry trees give a slight vanilla scent, which complements the boat loads of mint. Back right corner is all the herbs, thyme is the strongest right now. I'm a fan

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your Honeysuckle looks beautiful Pat. I've made a note to check with my local nursery to see if they can get it.
I had a beautiful old daphne growing to the left of my deck where I love to sit and enjoy my garden. It had a lovely fragrance but it died this year. Very sad. We had a mild summer but it just went brown and the leaves fell off. Then all new buds came and I thought it would be okay and then the new buds all just died. :( I have 2 Little Gem Magnolias and am waiting for them to grow high enough and prolific enough to give off their fragrance. Also, a very dear gardening friend gave me a Wintersweet or Chimonanthus praecox for my birthday I think about 2 years ago. It is growing well, probably about 2 metres or 6 foot high but apparently it can take from between 3 to 7 years to flower and give off its' wonderful scent. My friend says as she grew up in country Victoria her neighbor had a one and she remembers her family home smelling wonderful. :love:It is a lovely gift and I am looking forward to "smelling the wintersweets", hopefully sooner rather than later. It is deciduous and the leaves are really a bit ordinary and I have just read an article which suggest planting a clematis under it to help its appearance along when it's not doing it's thing. This article suggested a Rouge Cardinal so I'll be on the hunt for that too!! I have the magnolias on the left of my deck and the wintersweet to the right so hopefully I'll be in heady heaven.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Right now I have a nice size Gardenia in full bloom just to the left of my front door. You can smell it approaching the porch, while your on the porch and in the entry way just inside the house when we keep the front door open. In addition to that my wife keeps a bowl of gardenia flowers on a small table just inside the door. I love Gardenia season :)
Your gardenia fragrance fest sounds wonderful. I've tried to grow gardenias a couple of times, bought a beautiful standard which cost quite a bit, but it died. They do require a bit of care, don't they?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Right now my garden smells like wet soil and that is good enough for me :LOL: No other aromas because my other plants are gone, but next year my new garden might smell very differently ;)

The smell of the first rain on soil is incomparable!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Your gardenia fragrance fest sounds wonderful. I've tried to grow gardenias a couple of times, bought a beautiful standard which cost quite a bit, but it died. They do require a bit of care, don't they?

Yes, they are a little tricky. they like a relatively well draining soil with a lower ph, between 5.0 and 6.0. I accomplish this using regular applications (in season) of ammonium sulfate. About 1/2 cup per plant, gently worked into the soil and then watered, about every 6 weeks. I've had success (after a few failures) with them in both a planter bed and also in large container.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my gardens change smells through out the growing season. first it is the fragrant daffs. then the viberums, then then the lilacs, then some roses, then the lilies, then the honeysuckles.

Ask a Question