What do you want out of your garden ?

Reaction score
I don't want much. I just want my ornamental plants to look attractive and tropical and my herbs to taste good. I also want to grow everything in containers because I'm not expecting to have a yard in my next apartment. I've been reading a lot about small space gardening and composting for apartment dwellers because I'm planning to move sometime this year. I gave away my 2 big cactuses because I'm not going to be able to take all my plants with me. The building I'm considering just has balconies, not yards, most of them do.

Reaction score
My yard was a blank canvas 9 years ago and I have steadily been painting it just the way I want. I like the different colors, textures, and sizes of all the different plants and trees. Everyone of them are unique. I also like to watch them grow over the years...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I want roses - lots and lots of roses, different kinds of roses, roses with red, white, yellow and pink flowers. I'm so obsessed with roses:D . I also can't imagine a garden without old trees and delicious vegetables:)

Reaction score
I want a organic yard free of chemicals. I want lots of bugs, milllions and millions of bugs .... but not too many of any ONE bug, that way there is a bug to control a bug. I got lots of bugs and after 20 years of getting my yard off "drugs" it is finally reaching a natural balance between bugs! :)

Reaction score
I just want a small piece of yard to have more plants.. I have more containers that this house can hold.. now I need a small vegetable patch.. where i can have radishes, lettuce, egg plant, carrots and beets.. :)
If I can have lots of space I will have lots of vegetables and fruits. I would really love to have some red and yellow bell peppers too.. :)

Reaction score
Thats a really good question!

For myself, I want privacy, I want somewhere to be able to sit out and read if I want. With the planting, I have shrubs and perennials and I don't want too much work from them, I just want steady growth so I can keep them pruned, some colours, some pleasing shapes ... from the grass, I want open-ness and not growing too fast - and what I do cut, I want it to be seed-free so I can put it in the compost bin! I want some crops - fruit, veg, salads and herbs. And I want plenty of shelter and food for birds and insects, whether they live in my garden or just visit. And from my front garden, I want enough slugs and whatnot for the frog I discovered living in the heather out there!

Reaction score
Arzosah I will happily let you have some of my extra slugs. :)

It's so nice to have a frog or a toad, it speaks of balance. I also want that kind of space you describe, and my sense is that with care the garden does become less high maintenance and more a system that I can interact within as I choose. Of course, I am not a terribly tidy gardener - I am comfortable with some mess and some processes going on that don't always look their best.

I guess what I mostly want is a feeling of abundant healthy life around me, and the beauty that comes from that.

I have moved several times in the last decade so I have had to start from scratch again and again. I am getting good at it though! :) And hope that here I can stay for a while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I want trees that produce fresh fruit and berries. I want plants that give me organic veggies, and I want beautiful flowers that make my garden smell wonderful.

Reaction score
I want to be able to produce enough fruit and vegies to can, freeze, and dry to last until next harvest. Lots of flowers mixed in, a very natural looking garden and NO chemicals.

Reaction score
Our gardens consist generally of plants, flowers, trees and shrubs so I guess the reason we do it is because we like to see the beauty in it all. I love to stand back after a busy day in my garden and just feel proud of what I have done. I love the way my home looks and I take pride in it.

We get many compliments from neighbors and that makes me proud that people notice .I love to see the changes from day to day as the flowers bloom and change. There is always something new happening. It's exciting. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I want a vegetable garden. I am not really into flowers unlike my mother. She's the one who grows different kinds of flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You sound like my sister:) She has never been interested in growing flowers either.
If I had to choose between vegetables and flowers, I'd go with the latter. I love being surrounded by beautiful plants. Nothing makes me as happy as taking care of my miniature roses:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
What do I want out of our gardens? First, enough vegetables to feed us well, and extras for the local food bank. Then, a spot where the rabbits, toads, birds, and other wildlife feel safe and have a home. Lastly, I want more flowers, although I can hardly keep up with the ones we have. Walking out in the early morning and smelling roses and other fragrant flowers is such a pleasure (if the skunk hasn't been around during the night:rolleyes:).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the main purpose of my garden is to provide vegetables for my family. Other then that I don't see a use for it. I add flowers to the front of my house to give it character as well.

Ask a Question