what color to paint rain barrel?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got a used (for Coca Cola) opaque white barrel. I've already cleaned it out and know I've got to paint it. I was told to paint it dark to keep algae from forming, which would be a problem for me as I have nowhere to put it except in direct sunlight. BUT, I also read that since dark colors attract the heat, the water will get too hot in the sun to use on the plants. This makes perfect sense to me but now I don't know what to do. IF I PAINT IT DARK TO REDUCE ALGAE GROWTH IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT WILL THE WATER END UP BEING TOO HOT TO WATER THE PLANTS WITH IT?

Thank you for the help. I've searched the web looking for an answer to this question and couldn't find one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are in Texas, and have a blue barrel, a white barrel, and three white 250 gal. cubes. We haven't painted any and don't have a problem with algae nor with hot water, but we do use up most of the barrel water fast, and the cube water doesn't seem to develop any algae.
If you want to paint your barrel dark (I'd suggest dark green which would have the same effect and blend into your garden better) just let a bucket or two of water set in the shade for a couple of hours before using, or draw it off early in the morning. Plants like an early morning drink, and it's easier on the gardener, too!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't have a rain barrel, but I agree with what marlingardener said; either set some buckets in the shade or water early.

One thing I wanted to ask was whether you have a problem with mosquitoes? My uncle kept a rain barrel, and got mad because the mosquitoes were using it as a breeding ground, which meant he got bitten every time he wanted to work in the garden!! :mad: :(

What he wound up doing was getting about ten of the feeder goldfish from a pet store, and put them in the barrel. They ate all the mosquito larvae, and cut down tremendously on the amount of mosquitoes in his garden! He didn't want to keep them once fall came, so he was very popular with the neighbor kids, if not their parents ... :ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question