What are tiny white fuzzy bugs?

Reaction score
Yesterday while doing yard work I encountered some tiny little bugs that looked like little fuzzy cottonballs almost. They were real small tho. I actually thought it was a fuzzy or a piece of lint at first but then started to see a couple more as I was going around the yard. They actually jump and quite high too, that is when I realized it was a bug or at least a living thing.

I didn't actually see them on my plants, just on the ground while I was taking care of some weeds. Any idea what these could be?

Not sure if the same but the ones i have are wreaking havoc in my garden they destroyed the plant where they seem to be coming from and have started spreading. They tend to like flowers and slowly kill each plant they appear on. I began pruning the bush they were on and now see them all over the trashcans. I myself broke out into a rash that day and have had it since despite scrubbing hard and washing all linens. Im worried theyll get inside. Am definitely considering hiring an exterminator. Ugh

Reaction score
This is what im seeing

Attachments

• 20141013_154612.jpg
    20141013_154612.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 5,558
Reaction score
Found a recipe for home made safe insecticide To make a batch, combine 1 garlic bulb, 1 small onion, and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a food processor or blender and process into a paste. Mix into 1 quart of water and steep for 1 hour. Strain through a cheesecloth and add 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap. Mix well. The mixture can be stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Found a recipe for home made safe insecticide To make a batch, combine 1 garlic bulb, 1 small onion, and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a food processor or blender and process into a paste. Mix into 1 quart of water and steep for 1 hour. Strain through a cheesecloth and add 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap. Mix well. The mixture can be stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
That is called garlic pepper tea. It is not an actual insecticide. It is mostly an insect repellent and it works very well, however it will kill small soft bodied insects. Spray it on bugs that are on your plants and they leave and the residual effect repels them from coming back

Reaction score
Country
United States
Regarding the tiny white bug: I found this creature on one of the zinnias this morning. It is not a fuzzy bug but rather a tiny spiky bug that only moves if I touch it, then it wiggles away under a petal. Anyone know what this is? These zinnias are about done bloomig, and the leaves have white spots. I plan to spray with Garden Safe brand insecticide.
IMG_0305.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Regarding the tiny white bug: I found this creature on one of the zinnias this morning. It is not a fuzzy bug but rather a tiny spiky bug that only moves if I touch it, then it wiggles away under a petal. Anyone know what this is? These zinnias are about done bloomig, and the leaves have white spots. I plan to spray with Garden Safe brand insecticide. View attachment 24596
Looks like a mealybug

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going crazy and close to throwing all my potted flowers away on my patio. I not only have the black aphids on my hibiscus, lime green small bugs (which I think from pics are also aphids) having a party especially in my Zinnias, then tonight I found out the small white bugs, which are new to the whole fiasco, are also aphids. Can this be possible? Black, lime green and white aphids all at the same time, I am becoming out numbered. The guy at the nursery told me to spray them well especially under the leaves and soil around, then bring them for a few days. If I begin to see them again once they're back outside, repeat same procedure. I really don't like the thought of bringing bugs I've missed into my home. Is this necessary? Their all in pots out on a roof top patio. Could I move them off the patio and maybe spread them outside in yard?
If they're all aphids, it probably makes them far easier to remedy.
Garlic and chili spray with neem oil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
P1020767.JPG

Also lady beetle larva, maybe a different species. They are eating your aphids.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
That is not correct @Chuck. Did you not look at the links i provided from .edu sources? There are a variety of lady beetle species and a couple of them have larva that look similar to mealybugs. The larva pictured here are lady beetle larva and i even mentioned to you the species so people can look it up and see for themselves. I have them in my garden, they eat aphids and scurry like lady beetles because they will grow up to be lady beetles. The scientific sites verify this.

Ask a Question