What are tiny white fuzzy bugs?

Discussion in 'Diseases and Pests' started by dconklin, Jul 6, 2013.

1. dconklin

dconklin New Member

Yesterday while doing yard work I encountered some tiny little bugs that looked like little fuzzy cottonballs almost. They were real small tho. I actually thought it was a fuzzy or a piece of lint at first but then started to see a couple more as I was going around the yard. They actually jump and quite high too, that is when I realized it was a bug or at least a living thing.

I didn't actually see them on my plants, just on the ground while I was taking care of some weeds. Any idea what these could be?
    dconklin, Jul 6, 2013
    1. Advertising

2. dconklin

zigs Naughty Moderator Moderator

3. dconklin

ChanellG New Member

Wooly aphids is what I was thinking as well. Aggravating little things, aphids; I have yellow ones plaguing my milkweed. Don't remember the food preference of wooly aphids, but you definitely want to check to be sure they aren't actually on any your plants. You have to turn the leaves over and look very closely.
    ChanellG, Jul 8, 2013
  4. dconklin

zigs Naughty Moderator Moderator

Contrary to popular opinion, they are not related to Wooly Mammoths.
    zigs, Jul 8, 2013
  5. dconklin

dconklin New Member

I am not sure if they are the aphids only because they do not seem to bother the trees or the plants. I found them on the ground and haven't seen any really on any plants. I have red rocks in my yard and get a lot of weeds so these things were actually in with the rocks and weeds.

They were the weirdest thing because I really didn't think it was a living creature so when it jumped almost a foot in the air I jumped and threw my back out or well pulled something :( I thought it was a piece of fuzz! I haven't seen any on the cedar tree or the neighbor's maple tree.
    dconklin, Jul 8, 2013
  6. dconklin

dconklin New Member

I haven't seen any on the plants or the cedar tree. They were all over in the yard (which is mostly red rocks and not grass) and I was finding them when I was pulling the weeds out of the yard. They were kind of in between some of the rocks.
    dconklin, Jul 8, 2013
  7. dconklin

ChanellG New Member

Pfffffffffffffffft!

They tend to like soft stemmed plants like roses, though different types seem to be drawn to different plants. I've only seen the wooly ones. The yellow ones cluster together near the tops of my milkweed and they also hide under the leaves so I have to check carefully. There are little black ones that get on the okra and hibiscus. Have been hoping to see ladybugs about, but they've been scarce.
    ChanellG, Jul 9, 2013
    zigs likes this.
  8. dconklin

dconklin New Member

I only have weeds where I was finding them as I haven't found any on the garden plants, only in the yard. Maybe that is because I don't have any other plants they like but somehow find their way to my yard? I have marigolds but that's it for flowers. The rest of my plants are vegetables and strawberries. We do have wild flowers growing in the yard tho.

First picture I found said it could be a planthopper. But as I do some more searching after you and Zigs mentioned wooly aphids, that is more what it looked like. Tho it was very small so it was hard to be certain.
    dconklin, Jul 9, 2013
  9. dconklin

ChanellG New Member

They are very small. With all those wildflowers you hopefully have ladybugs and other natural aphid predators about to help keep the population under control. Supposedly the ones threatening my milkweed will go on their own as mysteriously as they came. Getting them off the plants is harder now because I have a whole new crop of monarch caterpillars.
    ChanellG, Jul 10, 2013