Wanting to try to do indoor gardening this fall/winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning!

So as the title states, I have been thinking of starting an indoor garden this year. I know there are quite a few plants that can be grown in containers, but I am looking for any advice on it. I am thinking of trying a tomato plant, possibly green beans or peas, and I also thought about something different, like watermelon? I know some of these take up some serious room but I thought if I could have them stationed through out the house in different places it may work.

Have any of you tried this? I am currently working on growing lettuce. It isn't thick yet, and I think I may need to thin them out soon, but didn't want to do that before they were strong enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

It's certainly possible to grow fruit and veg indoors! How much sun do you get?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get quite a bit of morning sun on my back porch and in my kitchen. For the evening, I have a large sliding glass door that lets light in. I heat with wood in the winter, however and I am hoping this doesn't dry out the plants too much? Are there some veggies that do well in this sort of environment and are there some I should stay away from?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't think tomatoes would be a good idea since it grows tall up to 5 feet. With the vines like watermelon, it's impractical for ti will crawl and may occupy the entire interior of your house. What I can think of right now is ginger because aside from ginger on the ground, we always have ginger in pots that are our spare ginger for cooking. It is a small plant of about a foot high and sturdy too. What more, it can serve as a decorative plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just caught up to the post. Have you started this project yet? I am interested in doing this as well and the first thing that came to mind was tomatoes. I say we do it and keep each other in the loop as to how well they do! I am really curious about these indoor melons you are working on! That will take up some real estate!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sun is the biggest "ingredient" you will need in order to grow plants indoors. Just about all herbs grow well inside, and beans do to. I have not tried it yet, but I believe green onions would be ok to grow inside because they are so easy to grow. Good luck with your gardening adventures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't grow veggies but I am always interested in what can be grown indoors. Personally, I think anything can be grown indoors provided your commitment to creating the correct growing environment (heat, light, humidity, soil..etc). Believe it or not, watermelon (melons) can and are grown indoors...but the space!!! Like others said, you will be tripping over vines. If you set up some sort of trellis you would be able to run your vines up and down that and suspend the melons. You might want to go with the dwarf varieties. Below is a few pictures and a couple websites...good luck and keep us posted (y)

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-melons-indoors-69405.html

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/growing-indoor-tomatoes.htm

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/growing-green-beans-indoors#b

Build this and put indoors in front of south window or under lights
watermelon_support_large.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

WINDOW FARMING

http://our.windowfarms.org/tag/peas/

Le-voilier-28-mars-2011.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah, having a whole room of hanging cucumbers is more than I'm willing to take on. People find ways though.

Ask a Question