Walmart blueberry bush

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bought a Jam Session Blueberry Shrub from Wal-Mart and can't find anything about it. I have a Elliot blueberry bush next to it with the intention of cross-polinating them. I read somewhere that if you have two different kinds of bluberry bushes next to each other they will both produce more blueberries.

But I can't find what kind of bush this is. I planted it the same way as the Elliot. Peat moss and soil acidifier and red mulch. The only thing I can find I'm the interwebz is a concert at a blueberry farm.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1462319201432-133763870.jpg
    1462319201432-133763870.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 545

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
On the back of the tag, there should be the scientific name, type that in and you should get more results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Odly enough there isn't anything on the label with the scientific name. But it does say "unauthorized propagation is prohibited" kind of thought that was funny.

I had to go to the better homes and garden website to find that it's Vaccinium

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Odly enough there isn't anything on the label with the scientific name. But it does say "unauthorized propagation is prohibited" kind of thought that was funny.

I had to go to the better homes and garden website to find that it's Vaccinium

Yes, all blueberry bushes are in the Vaccinium genus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha. Well I don't know what type of variety it is then. I can only find that information on their website. Here is a picture of it of anybody can identify it.

Attachments

• 1462360617556931595093.jpg
    1462360617556931595093.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 545
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bought a Jam Session Blueberry Shrub from Wal-Mart and can't find anything about it. I have a Elliot blueberry bush next to it with the intention of cross-polinating them. I read somewhere that if you have two different kinds of bluberry bushes next to each other they will both produce more blueberries.

But I can't find what kind of bush this is. I planted it the same way as the Elliot. Peat moss and soil acidifier and red mulch. The only thing I can find I'm the interwebz is a concert at a blueberry farm.

Any ideas?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2051782/blueberries-are-now-at-my-local-wal-mart
This article suggest that Walmart sells Duke and Bluecrop blueberries. You didn't post pictures of the blueberries so I don't know. But you might be able to figure out looking at pictures and your plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just found your post because I just bought one of the 'Jam Session' blueberries bushes from Walmart myself and was trying to find more information about them.

The bar code on my container had the label Vaccinium 'Jam Session' so that is the correct name for the variety. It also had the patent number PP24637. When searched for that, I found more information. It was assigned number ‘ZF05-196’ to designate the variety and had this description: "‘ZF05-196’ is a nursery variety intended for the landscape and home garden markets. The variety produces high yields of medium sized fruit with nice flavor and firmness. ‘ZF05-196’ is a mid-season variety. The variety is very vigorous with an upright stature and attractive, long fruit clusters. The new blueberry plant originated from a cross of ‘Duke’ (female parent, unpatented) by ‘Legacy’ (pollen parent, unpatented)."

I'll be curious to find out how yours fruits being grown with 'Eliott.' I have a 'Jelly Bean' variety from BrazelBerries line and a 'Tophat.' Hopefully they'll be happy cross-pollinating together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just found your post because I just bought one of the 'Jam Session' blueberries bushes from Walmart myself and was trying to find more information about them.

The bar code on my container had the label Vaccinium 'Jam Session' so that is the correct name for the variety. It also had the patent number PP24637. When searched for that, I found more information. It was assigned number ‘ZF05-196’ to designate the variety and had this description: "‘ZF05-196’ is a nursery variety intended for the landscape and home garden markets. The variety produces high yields of medium sized fruit with nice flavor and firmness. ‘ZF05-196’ is a mid-season variety. The variety is very vigorous with an upright stature and attractive, long fruit clusters. The new blueberry plant originated from a cross of ‘Duke’ (female parent, unpatented) by ‘Legacy’ (pollen parent, unpatented)."

I'll be curious to find out how yours fruits being grown with 'Eliott.' I have a 'Jelly Bean' variety from BrazelBerries line and a 'Tophat.' Hopefully they'll be happy cross-pollinating together.

In planning for this year's gardening adventures I needed kick start my memory of what plants I planted last year and came across this post.

I wanted you to know my blue berries seem to be doing good and look like it'll be a nice harvest this year if I can keep the birds and Japanese beetles away from them this year. How are your bushes doing?

Attachments

• 20170322_164215_HDR.jpg
    20170322_164215_HDR.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 333

Ask a Question