Wall of shrubs....

Reaction score
I love when I see yards with walls of tall shrubs which act as fencing as well. I want to do this but being a newbie to the do-it-yourself gardening life, I'm a little hesitant because I'm not sure of spacing. I would be buying the shrubs while small and inexpensive. Does anyone have some advice for this type of project? Should I go for a certain type of shrub? I want them to grow close together to act as a fence because I have dogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You won't find many hedges that are dog proof without also having a fence - even if they are tightly packed then dogs can scoot under the branches between the plants, so that is worth bearing in mind! We have a lot of laurel in our garden which looks really nice, it is an evergreen shrub so you have nice glossy green leaves all year, and it is fairly easy to keep in shape. Other evergreen options would be things like holly (and given how prickly they are this might put off your dogs making a break for it!), privet, or maybe conifers instead. What kind of look are you going for?

Reaction score
Im looking to get as much coverage as I can and ones that grow tall...I like the look of the tall slender pointed one I see so often around my area.

Reaction score
I have trimmed the wall of hedges
Too long in Fortlauderdale and longer in Arkansas
A fence is a lot less maintenace

I understand that may be the case but the estimates I have gotten for fencing in my yard ($11,000 and up) are ridiculous and I truly cannot afford it:eek: . I was looking for a way more economical way of building more of a perimeter than a fence. And since I love plants and gardening..I figured this would be the way to go. Maybe I should keep looking for a solution? :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
$11k? Crikey, you must have a big perimeter! :eek:

Have you seen photos of hedges you like? 'Tall and pointed' sounds like it might be some kind of conifer but it's not much to go on...

Reaction score
$11k? Crikey, you must have a big perimeter! :eek:

Have you seen photos of hedges you like? 'Tall and pointed' sounds like it might be some kind of conifer but it's not much to go on...

That's just it...I don't really have a huge perimeter at all. Maybe it was the fact that I was looking into PVC fencing. Can anyone suggest a cheaper route that would still look amazing. I really am not to fond of just plain wood paneling ;(

Reaction score
That's just it...I don't really have a huge perimeter at all. Maybe it was the fact that I was looking into PVC fencing. Can anyone suggest a cheaper route that would still look amazing. I really am not to fond of just plain wood paneling ;(

I found this photo online. See the tall ones..I would like a row of just them I think...
beautiful%20shrubs%20plotting.jpg

I also came across this and think its totally beautiful....is this any harder to maintain then a regular shrub I wonder:
images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How about trellis fencing? It looks nicer than plain wood fencing, it would keep your dogs in, and you could grow whatever you like against it. What do you think?

trellis-fencing-nottingham-fs.jpg

pressure_treated_wavey_diamond_trellis_cm-scale_w-800_h-710_q-80.jpg

Reaction score
How about trellis fencing? It looks nicer than plain wood fencing, it would keep your dogs in, and you could grow whatever you like against it. What do you think?

trellis-fencing-nottingham-fs.jpg

pressure_treated_wavey_diamond_trellis_cm-scale_w-800_h-710_q-80.jpg

OMG Becky!!!!! WOW!! What an idea!!...I absolutely LOVE IT!! I am so looking into this THIS WEEKEND!!!! I love the look of this!!! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No worries, I'm glad you like the idea! Should be a lot cheaper than $11k too :)

Reaction score
No worries, I'm glad you like the idea! Should be a lot cheaper than $11k too :)

yes it definitely should be cheaper than 11K....and this I could do piece by piece of need be because it is trellis!! Again...what a great idea!! Thanks bunches..I love how much im learning from this forum!!

Ask a Question