Uses for old Tires

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I just saw a great photograph of someone who had re-painted old tires and stacked them in a brick like fashion in their garden. They then put a variety of plants in them and used them as a planter. I don't know how they stopped the bottom from falling out but I would think you could easily put something inside the tire and it would rest on the opposite end. I thought it was a great idea. Any other tips for unique garden planters?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago I had some planters made by slitting one side of a tyre with the rim still attached and turning it inside out.

The metal bit becomes the base and the inside out tyre forms a big bowl.

Tried to do it last year, but just couldn't turn it inside out, might have cut it in the wrong place?

Reaction score
I posted something with a lot cool and unusual planter ideas ;) Can't find it now, but if you can you should check it out... all sorts of crazy ideas right there. I personally think most of those planters looked very original and some of them nice, but I'd definitely never use tires as planter or shoes... or cans, etc. My aun used to use cans tho...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've seen some really weird stuff over the years. Living in semi-rural regions in Western WA where there's some interesting people out there...I've seen lots of interesting uses for planters. There was one woman who used a painted/mosiac toilet, old boots, tea kettles and pots to grow flowers. Another had a junked car that they gutted and turned into a huge funky planter.

Ask a Question