Unidentified plant- veggie or weed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm preparing my vegetable garden (I know I'm a bit late, just had a baby this winter), and these little plants are sprouting up all over my raised bed. There is one random mint plant, but I don't know what the rest are. They are definitely not mint. Can anyone tell if these are a vegetable that somehow reseeded from last year? Or are they a weed? Thanks! (I'm in southeastern PA btw)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 326
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am so sorry to say that I can't see the detail of the plants. At first look, I thought it is cilantro, but I am sure they are not in the second picture. Do they have any scent? If they are re-seeded themselves, I would go ahead and start anew!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm preparing my vegetable garden (I know I'm a bit late, just had a baby this winter), and these little plants are sprouting up all over my raised bed. There is one random mint plant, but I don't know what the rest are. They are definitely not mint. Can anyone tell if these are a vegetable that somehow reseeded from last year? Or are they a weed? Thanks! (I'm in southeastern PA btw)
The majority of those plants are what people around me call pigweed (Chenopodium album). It's also known as lamb's quarters or wild spinach. It's a weed but edible with a flavor very similar to regular spinach but a little grainier. It looks like you also have a fire cherry or something coming up in the first one - but if it's the plant you featured in the second pic, that's pigweed.

Ask a Question