Tulips In My Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These are my tulips that bloomed beautiful two days ago. I am glad I had a chance to take pictures of them before coming out yesterday and found them all destroyed by the squirrels. They ate some flowers and shredded the rest of them. Grrrrr..
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They were absolutely beautiful! I'm sorry to hear that squirrels destroyed them:( Do squirrels eat tulips? Those that live in my area are very friendly and spend most of their time jumping from one tree to the other. They stay away from my plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No way! We have lots of squirrels here as well and none of them destroy flower beds that I know of. I guess southern squirrels have a different diet, right @tbendl?

Maybe you can plant something that deters your squirrels? Put in a motion activated sprinkler?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Stunning is an understatement specially from someone who missed seeing them in Amsterdam just by a fortnight :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They were absolutely beautiful! I'm sorry to hear that squirrels destroyed them:( Do squirrels eat tulips? Those that live in my area are very friendly and spend most of their time jumping from one tree to the other. They stay away from my plants.

Yes, they do and they also eat the bulbs, @claudine ! They dug up the bulbs and rearrange them too. I didn't think they would, but I have caught them red-handed doing the bad deeds times after times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's all crawfish and gumbo for ours, they know how to eat right! :p
That makes me feel a lot better since I just put all those flowers in. I'm sorry IcyBC lost his tulips though :cry:

Send some of those southern squirrels my way, please! Our squirrels are really naughty. They chewed through tough garbage cans and lids too. I never thought that squirrels can be such destroyers, but I have saw them doing it with my own eyes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Send some of those southern squirrels my way, please! Our squirrels are really naughty. They chewed through tough garbage cans and lids too. I never thought that squirrels can be such destroyers, but I have saw them doing it with my own eyes.

What kind of mutant creatures are you growing over there? They sound worse than the raccoon in the states! What are your garbage cans made of? Perhaps you need metal cans.

It's all crawfish and gumbo for ours, they know how to eat right! :p
That makes me feel a lot better since I just put all those flowers in. I'm sorry IcyBC lost his tulips though :cry:

Ha! I watched a squirrel bury an acorn a few months ago in the sculpture garden in City Park. Never have I seen one dig up a bulb or attack a plant in anyone's garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've had to get them out of our attic but they run the length of our fence in the morning and crack me up. The hub calls them rats with bushy tails but as long as they stay out of my attic they are welcome to stick around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What kind of mutant creatures are you growing over there? They sound worse than the raccoon in the states! What are your garbage cans made of? Perhaps you need metal cans.

The garbage can was made out of tough plastic, something that can tolerate the winter weather we have here in Michigan, but it was obviously not tough enough for the squirrels. Metal cans would be crushed flat by salt trucks and garbage truck in one use :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The garbage can was made out of tough plastic, something that can tolerate the winter weather we have here in Michigan, but it was obviously not tough enough for the squirrels. Metal cans would be crushed flat by salt trucks and garbage truck in one use :(

Yikes! Sounds like where you live is hazardous to gardening, lol. I thought of this thread yesterda when I say a post on bulbs. It recommended laying chicken wire over the bulbs until the shoots started to grow to protect them from squirrels..

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Happened to me too, I had squirrels in my compound and I never thought those cute creatures would do me any harm. They always keep jumping from one tree to another and never caused any trouble, till I decided to grow plants in my balcony. When the flowers started to bloom the squirrels started coming and eating them up. And they also started entering the house which made me call a humane squirrel removal service and get rid of them. Maybe you should do something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question