Trees that love FULL sun?

Reaction score
I have a small evergreen in a pot on my balcony that's doing fantastic, and I'm looking to expand my tree collection. The area gets full sun all morning until about 4pm. I had a Japanese maple, and I just couldn't find a place to put it where it wouldn't get completely fried.

I also had a dwarf Japanese Holly (it's in my avatar) but it died during the winter. It was unseasonably cold where I live, reaching about -35F multiple times this winter. During the summer this little guy was thriving! I'm thinking of getting another one now that it's spring.

I have a dwarf cypress that has also survived the winter. So far, he's been doing great, just some slight discoloration, but he's greening up now that it's spring and sunny.

I will be moving in August and will have a yard to plant them in by then. So, I just need a tree that can live in a pot until then. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thank you in advance for any advice!

Reaction score
The main thing is where do you live and what kind of weather do you have. Without knowing that it makes it difficult to give you ideas on what you should plant.

Reaction score
The main thing is where do you live and what kind of weather do you have. Without knowing that it makes it difficult to give you ideas on what you should plant.

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. We have milder weather with four seasons. Summer months are hot and humid. During summer, daytime temperature might reach 90F. Winters usually have an average temperature of 20F.

Reaction score
I would suggest citrus trees, but cold weather would kill them. You could put them in large pots and bring them in in the winter time!

Thanks Leah! This sounds like a good idea. Do you think they would be able to survive inside next to the window during the winter? Or is that not enough light?

Reaction score
Hi Stratagems - although you didn't specify whether you were just looking for ornamental trees, fruit trees or a mixture of the two - as you showed an interest at the suggestion of a citrus tree - am assuming its a mixture of the two.

Although there are quite a variety of both ornamental, fruit and trees suitable for growing in your climate I'm not altogether sure that citrus would be one of them - as they can be extremely temperamental and although they would be fine during the summer when they would probably get their 8 - 12 hours of sunlight - they really dislike temperature shifts and if inside over the winter which is their fruit bearing time - need to be protected from chilly drafts and blazing heaters and as lemons and grapefruits are likely to suffer the most - think a dwarf orange would be the best choice.

There are however plenty of other choices when it comes fruit and nuts - such as various types of cherry, black mulberry which is a magnificent tree with or without fruit - as well as most types of apple, plum or greengage and the many types of walnut and hazelnut trees.

As for ornamental trees there are so many that would suit your conditions that I could run out of room listing them - so for the time being will only mention those that I think are truly outstanding such as

Fagus Sylvatica " Tortaosa "
Magnolias - most varieties
Gleditsia Tricanthus - with either green or ruby wine colored foliage
Nyssa Sylvatica - biflora
Malus - with either green or burgundy foliage and stunning spring blossom

or if you wanted something really outstanding I would suggest Cercis Canadensis commonly known as Eastern Redbud and this variety " Covey - Lavender Twist "

Cercis Canadensis - Covey - Weeping Lavender Twist.jpg.gif

is a truly stunning weeping tree with spectacular spring blossom - which is then followed by green heart shaped leaves which change color as autumn approaches.

Hopefully some of these suggestions will be helpful and should you need any further information or more choice - will be more than happy to help :)

Reaction score
Oh wow, those trees are all gorgeous! Thank you so much for writing out this extremely informative post for me!! I really love the Lavendar Twist tree, but in looking at other photos of them they look a bit different than that photo. The trunk is just straight up and not twisted like that. Is there some sort of wire technique you do with the trunk while it's growing to achieve the twisted look, or do some of them just grow that way on their own?

I do think I'd probably prefer an ornamental tree, I'm a little nervous that fruit trees will be too fragile for the climate here.

Reaction score
You're welcome Stratagems - thought you might like " Covey - Lavender Twist " - its a favorite of mine too and although you may have seen pictures of this tree with a straight trunk - I can assure you - that its not natural for these multi-trunked trees to be straight and most definitely not this variety - as this particular one is renowned for its very individual gnarly shape and although " Covey " may start life with a straight trunk - its naturally zig- zaging twisted branches soon take on a gnarly look - as it begins to age - giving it a character all of its own without any assistance from us :)

As you mentioned that you would prefer an ornamental tree - did you find any of the others mentioned particularly appealing and do you have a preference in terms of size, color or shape ?

If you did wish to grow a fruit tree - there is no need too worry about the ones I've mentioned being too fragile - as they are all very suitable for growing in your area and will very definitely survive your winters and the summer humidity - the only thing worth bearing mind though is the fact that unlike an ornamental tree - they need regular yearly pruning in order to keep them fruiting abundantly :D

Reaction score
Do you think that a Scarlet Oak would do alright? I really like their shape and autumn colors!

Providing you give it excellent drainage - then yes am sure that Scarlet Oak would do well in your climate and apart from being a beautiful tree - think they are actually quite a popular choice in your area :)

Reaction score
I live in between Cleveland and Columbus, and there are a lot of trees up here that do good with full sun. I think one question that is missed is if you want to keep the trees in pots or if you want to plant some in the yard, too, as that will make a big difference in the types of trees recommended. Obviously, you had ones on the deck, but expanding out is always an option and will give you a wider variety of options.

Reaction score
I live in between Cleveland and Columbus, and there are a lot of trees up here that do good with full sun. I think one question that is missed is if you want to keep the trees in pots or if you want to plant some in the yard, too, as that will make a big difference in the types of trees recommended. Obviously, you had ones on the deck, but expanding out is always an option and will give you a wider variety of options.

I currently live in an apartment and I don't have a yard. I'll be moving in August and will have one then. I just want a tree that will do okay in a pot for now, and can be eventually planted in the yard.

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you so much! You've been so helpful to me. I'm getting an 18-36" Cercis Canadensis seedling and we'll see how it does :)

You're welcome and thank you for your kind words - they are very much appreciated. Am more than sure that your Cercis Canadensis will do very well and that it will soon becoming a stunning tree and a rewarding sight to see :D

As I know that you are planning to plant your tree in the ground once you have moved - I realize that there is one thing I forgot to mention and that is - that these trees once planted in the ground can't be moved very successfully - as they are one of the few plant species that once planted in the ground - don't like having their roots disturbed - so be sure that you have found the perfect spot for it to live before planting it out :)

Reaction score
Thanks Leah! This sounds like a good idea. Do you think they would be able to survive inside next to the window during the winter? Or is that not enough light?
I had mine next to a window that got 7-9 hours of sun each day and they were fine! It wasn't even bright sun--the porch blocked a lot of it.

Ask a Question