Transplanting plants that have only been planted recently

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So as you can tell from my other posts, I am freaking out right now that I planted all my plants the wrong way. I recently planted 3 Japanese irises, a bleeding heart, a small Japanese maple tree, and 2 Hydrangeas. They all came from those plastic pots. First, I didn't dig a hole wide enough for any of those plants, and I planted hydrangeas totally wrong in terms of location and the distances between the 2 hydrangeas(only like 1 feet apart). So I am thinking of digging all the plants out, and replant them in the same location(except hydrangeas, I will plant them in a shadier location and more far apart from each other), after widening the hole more. So my question is, would transplanting plants that was only planted less than 2 weeks ago have any negative effect to it?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
It will definitely affect them physiologically. Plants undergo a shock when removed from the soil due to disruption of water and mineral intake occasioned by displacement of the root hairs. But you can still move them by uprooting them with a compact mass of soil around their roots. You can achieve this through thoroughly wetting the soil and then digging them up injuring as few roots as possible. Do this in the evening especially in rainy weather.

Ask a Question