Tortillas. Utilizing Garden Indian Corn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OTWWN 28 January 2015 Tortillas
A batch of tortillas was made using garden nixtamalized corn and some commercial masa flour. The corn was made into a smooth texture in the blender with water then mixed with masa flour to get the right texture for forming tortillas. A tablespoon of baking powder was added to get some leavening. The formed tortillas were cooked in the oven at 400F for six minutes in batches of eight on cookie sheets. Alternately they can be cooked in a cast iron pan on top of the stove. The press has parchment paper to prevent sticking on one side of the tortilla and the top side is removed by running a knife edge under the pressed tortilla for ease of handling.The method of mixing means one does not have to grind the wet nixtamalized corn, which is difficult if not impossible at home.
URL

Reaction score
Woah! What a feat! So far i have only made tortilas using the ''maseca'', and thought that was a lot of work! Sorry if I sound silly, but... how often do you do this? I'm sure your tortillas taste delicious, but it sounds like a lot work :O

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I always have some tortillas in the plastic container in the refrigerator. Usually I make a ten day supply at one time, around 30. I got it down to a routine now. I nixtamalize the corn and freeze it until required in plastic containers shown.

Cooking on the sheet in the oven speeds things up considerably and probably makes more uniform tortillas. I must get two slightly larger sheets so four can sit flat on the sheet.

Next time I will skip the baking powder, It was just an experiment and probably not necessary..

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing, I wish I had some raw corn, what is nixtamalize? These tortillas would not stay long in my house, I can see these as chips and sauce and cheese.

Reaction score
I always have some tortillas in the plastic container in the refrigerator. Usually I make a ten day supply at one time, around 30. I got it down to a routine now. I nixtamalize the corn and freeze it until required in plastic containers shown.

Cooking on the sheet in the oven speeds things up considerably and probably makes more uniform tortillas. I must get two slightly larger sheets so four can sit flat on the sheet.

Next time I will skip the baking powder, It was just an experiment and probably not necessary..

How do you nixtimalize your own corn?!? So sorry for all the questions! It's just I had never heard of someone nixtimalizing their own corn! Is it very hard? I can see how nixtimalizing your own corn can be so handy, considering Maseca was accused of using GMO corn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Nixtamalized Corn. There are many variations of nixtamalization. One chooses the most suitable.

Background.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22675/22675-h/22675-h.htm#CHAPTER_VI
This preparation of corn was called nocake or nookick by early colonists. The process is alkaline treatment of corn kernels to release nutrients which are readily digested.”It is Indian corn parched in the hot ashes, the ashes being sifted from it; it is afterwards beaten to powder and put into a long leather bag trussed at the Indian’s back like a knapsack, out of which they take three spoonfuls a day.” It was held to be the most nourishing food known, and in the smallest and most condensed form. Both Indians and white men usually carried it in a pouch when they went on long journeys, and mixed it with snow in the winter and water in summer. Gookin says it was sweet, toothsome, and hearty. With only this nourishment the Indians could carry loads “fitter for elephants than men.”

Nixtamalized Corn
Modern Method of making Nocake or Nookick or Masa. Recently, food scientists have found that this process, called nixtamalization, increases the bio-availability of both protein and niacin, and radically reduces the toxins often found in moldy corn. The resulting dough, called masa, is the basis for corn tortillas, chips, tamales and other specialty corn foods. Whole corn that has been nixtamalized is called hominy or posole, while the ground form is called masa.
Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/make-masa-nixtamalized-corn-zmaz04amzsel.aspx#ixzz33Ore51jd

2 pounds clean, dried flour-corn kernels (about 1 quart) Dent corn or field corn
1/4 cup pickling lime (food-grade calcium hydroxide)
3 quarts water

Rinse the corn in a colander and set aside. In a large, stainless steel (nonreactive) pot, dissolve the lime in the water. Immediately wash off any lime that gets on your hands. Add the corn and discard any floating kernels. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, cool the pot and let it sit, uncovered, for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator. Pour the corn into a colander in the sink. With the cold water running, rub the kernels between your hands to rub away the softened hulls (they will have a gelatinous texture). Rinse thoroughly (some old recipes say to wash between 4 and 11 times). Drain well. Use the whole, moist kernels in soups or stews. Or, grind them through a food mill able to handle moist kernels to make masa, to which you can add enough water to make a slightly sticky dough for making tamales or, using a tortilla press, tortillas. Promptly refrigerate any unused masa, and use it within 3 days.

Where to buy ingredients for processing corn as per mostly Mexican Food.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KLFUQ 2 June 2014 Field or Dent corn

http://www.bulkfoods.com/cooking-ingredients/2689-pickling-lime.html Pickling Lime
Pickling Lime is a common name for Hydrated Lime which is Food Grade Calcium Hydroxide. Item: 4330

Where to buy if desired commercially.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maseca-Instant-Masa-Corn-Flour-25-lb/10790737

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Field corn harvest was finished in my area in November. I visited a local farm and got 20 cobs from the field at fifty cents apiece. I have a device to remove the kernels so I have fresh corn.http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AQSBR 12 November 2014 Shelling Corn
Approached a local farmer and purchased 20 cobs of dent field corn for making tortillas.The corn was plucked from the plants, as fresh as one can get. My recently purchased crank corn sheller performed flawlessly. It took about 20 minutes to complete the shelling. Pictures depict operation.

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the info! I might actually give it a try in the future! This was probably the most complete and informative post I have ever had the pleasure to read. The process sounds a bit long and strenuous, but I bet is really worth it.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The process sounds a bit involved. I may want to give it a try some time in the future just to see if I could actually create something like your totillas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The process sounds a bit involved. I may want to give it a try some time in the future just to see if I could actually create something like your totillas.

It probably takes longer to write the information than carrying out the operations. Most of the ingredients are prepared before hand. I find producing the tortillas pleasurable.

Ask a Question