Too much sun?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Going into winter this year my concern was for the plants not getting enough sun. Now that the official start date is almost here, I'm beginning to think my plants may get too much. I put the greenhouse up in early November because of a cold snap that was flirting with freezing temps. Then it warmed up again, but the greenhouse was getting part shade from the Japanese magnolia.

Now the magnolia has lost its leaves (getting ready to bloom) and there's no more shade. I've had to take some plants out of the green house and rotate things around like crazy. I need a new plan. I also need a new greenhouse as mine is one of those put it together types from metal bars and plastic joiners.

It's not stable, it leans in all directions and I'm just waiting for it to collapse when I need it the most. I wanted to make one just like it from wood and just use pvc to make a hoop roof so I can still use the vinyl cover, but I wonder if it's even worth it to go through all that.

The weather is so unpredictable it makes it impossible to plan. Right now some summer flowers are still blooming and winter lettuce is trying to bolt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You still have plenty of time to replant more lettuce. If it is trying to bolt it will be bitter. Plants cannot get too much sunlight unless they are shade loving plants, especially this time of year. They might be getting too warm but that is very doubtfull

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You still have plenty of time to replant more lettuce. If it is trying to bolt it will be bitter. Plants cannot get too much sunlight unless they are shade loving plants, especially this time of year. They might be getting too warm but that is very doubtfull

The lettuce was an experiment. My mother purchased nursery plants, but they didn't look the way we expected. I'd never grown lettuce so I wasn't sure if you should pinch the tips back or what. I'll try and remember to take a photo when I go back out. They are situated on a rack style portable green house with one of the walls from my pop up tent wrapped around on three sides. I guess I may as well let them go to seed and try to start over.

Reaction score
images
Flowers can even grow in the desert. Something tells me that too much sun may not be as big a problem for them as it can be for us. Sunshine,water, love, and fertilizer seems to keep them happiest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Actually, @SamClemensMT, there are a lot of plants that don't do well in full sun, depending on where you live. I have learned the hard way, that in my city, full sun is not always the best idea. It's just too darn hot and the sun at midday is too much for them. There's light, and then there's heat.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I strongly think that too much sun could either be good or bad for the plant. It only depends on what plant you are growing or you are trying to grow whether it is appropriate in your location and weather conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I strongly think that too much sun could either be good or bad for the plant. It only depends on what plant you are growing or you are trying to grow whether it is appropriate in your location and weather conditions.

I have a few plants that I have moved around many times trying to find a spot where the sun won't stress them, especially during the hottest part of the day when the sun is at its highest. I think I am going to have to create a shade area for July and times when the temperature is too much for plants that prefer it cooler.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I have a few plants that I have moved around many times trying to find a spot where the sun won't stress them, especially during the hottest part of the day when the sun is at its highest. I think I am going to have to create a shade area for July and times when the temperature is too much for plants that prefer it cooler.
That's a good idea you got there, I must say. Pretty helpful for the plants and to you as well.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our house is on the sunny side of the street which I am very happy that it is, we do get full sun which can become very intense. During the summer months we do not open the blinds because of the intense heating coming thru the windows. My plants get rotated thru the house to keep them from getting burned from the sun. The peace lily goes to the lower level which is always cooler with no direct sun.

It would be nice if we could take the direct sun that we get during the summer and save it up for the dark gray days we get during the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It would be nice if we could take the direct sun that we get during the summer and save it up for the dark gray days we get during the winter.

Wouldn't it though? The seems to have returned here, but it's supposed to get cold again briefly. For today the high temperature is projected to be in the low 70s! In JANUARY. By next weekend though, they are predicting lows in the 30s again. That's what it is to live in this part of the world.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There are lots of plants that don't like too much sun.
Rhubarb goes dormant, tomatoes can get greenback, peas won't germinate so well, lettuce and parsley aren't keen.
Radishes and some other brassicas definitely don't like too much sun, especially cauliflowers.

Chanell: shade your plants with horticultural fleece.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are lots of plants that don't like too much sun.
Rhubarb goes dormant, tomatoes can get greenback, peas won't germinate so well, lettuce and parsley aren't keen.
Radishes and some other brassicas definitely don't like too much sun, especially cauliflowers.

Chanell: shade your plants with horticultural fleece.

What's greenback, Bees? Do you do anything special to germinate your peas? I've not had a problem with parsley in the sun, but I wonder about the brassicas, because I've not seen any real development on my Brussels or my cauliflower since the fall :-(

The lettuce was leggy when I got it from my mother (nursery plants) and even though I pinched the tops and kept it moist it performed poorly and kept trying to go to seed. Not seeing much from the kale either. Has been using Epsom salts periodically, but gave everything a bit of fish emulsion recently.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
What's greenback, Bees? Do you do anything special to germinate your peas? I've not had a problem with parsley in the sun, but I wonder about the brassicas, because I've not seen any real development on my Brussels or my cauliflower since the fall :-(

The lettuce was leggy when I got it from my mother (nursery plants) and even though I pinched the tops and kept it moist it performed poorly and kept trying to go to seed. Not seeing much from the kale either. Has been using Epsom salts periodically, but gave everything a bit of fish emulsion recently.
http://gardener.wikia.com/wiki/Greenback
I soak my peas overnight and sow them into deep rootrainers @ 1 seed/module @ 50f/10c.
They're up.
Don't worry about brassicas going dormant in winter.
In the middle of Feb, give them some feed rich in Nitrogen, like poultry manure, and they'll soon be off again.
Lettuce has had it, bin it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
http://gardener.wikia.com/wiki/Greenback
I soak my peas overnight and sow them into deep rootrainers @ 1 seed/module @ 50f/10c.
They're up.
Don't worry about brassicas going dormant in winter.
In the middle of Feb, give them some feed rich in Nitrogen, like poultry manure, and they'll soon be off again.
Lettuce has had it, bin it.

Ah, I've not seen that here, but I've only grown cherry tomatoes and only recently at that.

My peas look great! After soaking I put them in damp paper toweling for a few days. I'm very excited about it. I have them now in barely damp soil in a seed tray and when they get a bit bigger, I'll plant them in something larger. Have to check the weather forecast to figure out when to bring them outside. We have some warm days coming, but still cold overnight.

Bought some fish emulsion recently...

Ask a Question