Too much rain ruins the vegetables

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We are now experiencing excessive rains, daytime of night time, and our extended garden is suffering already. For 3 straight days, our cassava crop is submerged in 4 inches of water. If it will not stop raining tomorrow, we may lose that crop. Our extended garden is situated in a low area and it is like a natural catch basin hence rainwater stays.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We are now experiencing excessive rains, daytime of night time, and our extended garden is suffering already. For 3 straight days, our cassava crop is submerged in 4 inches of water. If it will not stop raining tomorrow, we may lose that crop. Our extended garden is situated in a low area and it is like a natural catch basin hence rainwater stays.
Unless there is an outlet for your water it could destroy your crop. Can you not make deep culverts around your crop for the water to drain out - just a thought.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We also have had an excessive amount of rain. My house plants that I set out side were brought back inside because of all the rain, they were getting to much rain. We have not had full days of rain but it has rained every night more or less for the last month.

I hope you can save your crop. The ground is so wet now the water is not soaking in just running off, maybe you can get some of it to run off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This year we have rain like yours, for days on end! I think @grouie has a great solution! You might have to brave the rain and go out there to dig drenches around your crop :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
its been a very wet spring over here, too. I'm doing what I can to protect the garden from excessive water. but I can only do so much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We had lots of rain here too but it will rain all day and the next day it will be sunny and windy drying every up so I still have to water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We had lots of rain here too but it will rain all day and the next day it will be sunny and windy drying every up so I still have to water
It is the same pattern here. Yes. We too need to water atleast the pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm very sorry to hear that, Corzhens.
We dream about rain here. It has been unbelievably hot lately. I feel like I'm going to melt. Today, it's 33c!:eek: I have to water some of my plants twice a day, it's crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Corzhens I hope you can save your crop. You're right, plenty of rain can be great for lawns and perennials and native plants but not so good for vegetable gardens.
We had two very wet summers and this spring has been rainy, in fact it is raining now....I'm losing the battle with early blight on some of my tomato plants and will just have to pull them up. :(

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another heavy rain storm went thru here last night with high winds. We had rain July 4th early in the morning also. The ground is soaked, I have brought all my house plants back inside to protect them from the rain.

Reaction score
My cabbages and onions are doing well, even with near-constant rainfall, but nothing else is! Even the broccoli bolted! My bell peppers are still only 5 inches tall, but I cannot blame them because they were under water for a couple of days. And, the bell peppers are sun lovers, and even if it did not rain it was overcast.

I gave extra fertilizer this year because when the ground is under water the nitrogen is destroyed. I looked it up once, though I have since forgotten the details. We got 6 inches of rain last night, and we will get more tonight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Thank you very much for your comments about our problem. This morning, my husband and our housemaids dug trenches around the cassava crops to save the plants from being drenched. My husband said 1 cassava plant had fallen already although he remedied it by putting more soil (mud actually). Hoping that it will not rain hard anymore so that the soil will somewhat dry up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thinking good thoughts for your cassava crop....we are having steady torrential rain and I was going to work outside so I have the day off!
The last two summers have been so wet and overcast I didn't even bother with peppers (bell and hot varieties) because there's been insufficient sun to let them grow thick walls and develop heat and flavor. Boo.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Thank you very much for your comments about our problem. This morning, my husband and our housemaids dug trenches around the cassava crops to save the plants from being drenched. My husband said 1 cassava plant had fallen already although he remedied it by putting more soil (mud actually). Hoping that it will not rain hard anymore so that the soil will somewhat dry up.
Hope you can now save your crop.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love the rain. In my perfect world it would be a cool, windy
thunderstorm all the time. But as much as I love it, I can't truly appreciate it because of things like what's happening with your cassava. Also, my husband works in the tree service, (clearing them from around electric wires.). He can't go to work when it rains. I love having him here, but I know its stressing him out about bills and such. So now I have to love the storms in secret.

Ask a Question