Tomato plants!

Reaction score
I have been reading many "tricks" to get tomato plants to yield more. Are there any tricks that you have tried that actually work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been reading many "tricks" to get tomato plants to yield more. Are there any tricks that you have tried that actually work?
I don't know of any "tricks". I do know of some methods that will assure you of a good crop. Adherence to organic principles is a beginning to successful production

Reaction score
When I plant them I throw a moistened mix of peat moss, top soil, and processed cow manure in the hole. The mixture, which I call tomato glop, is really wet and I give each plant a good helping. I have never had a tomato plant fail on me and I have been growing them for over forty years.

Reaction score
Chuck: I have read if you spray a mixture of Epsom salt and water onto the plants it is supposed to help to get more. I have also been doing research about different fertilizers but there seems to be so many and I really like the thought of less harmful stuff on the tomatoes.

Reaction score
Head Full of Bees: I actually live in Minnesota so the growing season is pretty short compared to other places. I have never heard of Espalier. What is it?

Reaction score
Firelilly99: Thank you so much for the suggestion. This sounds like something I am very willing to try. I already have my tomatoes planted but do you think this could be something I could work into the ground around the plant and then water it into the ground?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck: I have read if you spray a mixture of Epsom salt and water onto the plants it is supposed to help to get more. I have also been doing research about different fertilizers but there seems to be so many and I really like the thought of less harmful stuff on the tomatoes.
For sure Epsom Salts does great things but this is only a miniscule part of growing things naturally and/or organically. Firelily99 is using an organic "technique" which works very well in her soils. I do something similar but not exactly the same and it works well in my soil. There is not a garden anywhere that is exactly the same. Your neighbor's soil is a little different than yours and that difference is caused by what is and has been incorporated into the soil. What is the same are the organic "principles" of making and maintaining a healthy fertile soil. Please go to the Organic Gardening forum on this site. There are a couple of threads about what soil is and what it does, plus there is a lot of other extremely helpful threads. It will be of great help in the understanding of organic principles, techniques and tips

Reaction score
The only trick I know is to make sure you cage your tomato plants up and don't let them lean over and lay on the side, I have found that you get a billion more pests if you just let the fruit lay on the ground. I did this through trial and error.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only trick I know is to make sure you cage your tomato plants up and don't let them lean over and lay on the side, I have found that you get a billion more pests if you just let the fruit lay on the ground. I did this through trial and error.
And not only that the fruit will rot if touching the soil. If you do not have stakes or cages at least keep them off of the ground with bricks or something

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Head Full of Bees: I actually live in Minnesota so the growing season is pretty short compared to other places. I have never heard of Espalier. What is it?
Basically, you pinch out the main shoot, then train side shoots to grow horizontally, rather than vertically, thus restricticting the sap.

Reaction score
Chuck: I will definitely check that out. I'm happy to hear that Epsom salt does work maybe in the mean time of me doing research under the organic site I'll try it.

Reaction score
Whitewolf: I do plan to tie up my plants. I learned my lesson last year when I didn't and ended up with rotten tomatoes.

Reaction score
Headfullofbees: I know I have heard of this before but I never knew what it was called. Will a cage or tying still control the side shoots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Headfullofbees: I know I have heard of this before but I never knew what it was called. Will a cage or tying still control the side shoots?
Any way you choose is ok. Just don't let the fruit lay on the ground. Where you live espalier will probably only be used on apples or grapes and the intense sun you get there in the summer precludes removing the shoots on your tomatos

Ask a Question