Today's Pickings

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Many seem to be posting threads, with photographs of their harvest, (and rightly so, as many are very impressive), so I hope you don't mind if I join in.

001_4.jpg

Another stone or so of rhubarb (I've used two stone for wine, have another stone in the freezer, made three batches of jam and lost count of how much I have given away) shows how poor a summer it's been weatherwise.
Usually rhubarb goes dormant here before the end of June, as temperatures rise, and, if lucky, we get a second flush in September as "summer" abates, but it's been so cold and wet this year, it's still growing.
The savoy cabbage on the left is approx. 3 lb and is destined for tonight's dinner, with the left-overs used to make a big batch of bubble & squeak, with home-grown onions and potatoes.
Then we have three courgettes (zucchini) to go with the dozen or so already in the fridge, 2 aubergines (my best attempt at growing them so far, as I'm well into double figures), 11 little cucumbers, delistar and superbel, all female varieties, with fine skins which mean no peeling, and a beautiful, if delicate flavour.
The bottom row has an ice-cream box crammed to overflowing with tomatoes; the standard ones are f1 Nimbus whilst the large cherry tomatoes are the delicious Maskotka, which I've posted about previously.
The beans fill and overflow from a 5 litre plastic tub. I'm picking this amount of them every day.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Most impressive Bees (y)

Especially as the weather has been so pants this year :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Wow. I love rhubarb as is but rhubarb wine sounds fascinating.:D I think this is my happy rhubarb wine face:ROFLMAO:..or maybe this one. Keep up the good work. It must be very satisfying having such a fresh bounty

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Wow. I love rhubarb as is but rhubarb wine sounds fascinating.:D I think this is my happy rhubarb wine face:ROFLMAO:..or maybe this one. Keep up the good work. It must be very satisfying having such a fresh bounty
I'm satisfied, and about as fascinated as a rat.
:confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really admire the beauty of your tomatoes :) Is that a super huge kale? It's so beautiful! All your harvest is beautiful actually, very good job! I'm actually impressed people in England can grow way more things that people in the Netherlands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I really admire the beauty of your tomatoes :) Is that a super huge kale? It's so beautiful! All your harvest is beautiful actually, very good job! I'm actually impressed people in England can grow way more things that people in the Netherlands.
It's a savoy cabbage.

Ask a Question