To rose or not to rose.

Reaction score
I have decided that I want a rose bush! Now it comes down to what kind. Are they easy to care for? What experiences the good the bad the ugly have you had with roses?

Reaction score
Have you ever grown roses before? Where do you live because it can make a difference in what type that you get. What color flowers do you want? I have always had good luck with roses but I think that is because I read and learned as much as I could before I ever bought one.

Reaction score
I have not picked a color or type yet, because I wanted to see what was best. Look them up a little bit. I live in Pennsylvania. I am good with any color really. Just want to start out small.

Reaction score
My experience with both big and miniature roses has been good, those two aren't hard to grow at al, but you must know roses are prone to certain diseases and fungus, so keep that in mind before you even think of getting one.

Reaction score
Really? Like what if you don't mind me taking up more of your time. What would be the best plant to start with?

Reaction score
Roses are generally pretty tough plants and relatively easy to grow and apart from them being wonderfully rewarding plants to grow mainly because of their beautiful blooms - they are great value too - as they are very easy to multiply

However - which one to suggest is a difficult question to answer - mainly because - as there are literally hundreds of different varieties and types of roses to choose from - such as for example - miniatures, hybrid teas, floribundas, climbers, ramblers etc - as well as those that are evergreen, thorn-less, fragrant, perpetual flowering or disease resistant - a lot will depend not only on your climate but also on how room you wish your rose to take up - as well as how much time you wish to spend caring for it and in fact one of the best options - would be to visit your local nursery and have a look at what varieties they have there - especially as anything that they stock will be suitable for growing in your area.

To me the only downside of growing roses - is that if you have a lot of them - which I do - you land up with an awful lot of rose petals strewn all over your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion you should give it a try:D
Growing roses isn't very difficult. You need to prune them and fertilize them, that's it. It's worth the effort, they're such gorgeous plants. Personally, I grow miniature roses, because in my opinion they're the prettiest and they do well indoors:)

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I will post some pictures. After we get them all in of course. Ha. I would like to thank you for all your help on the subject. All this plus what i found on google was a big help.

Reaction score
The do require a bit more work than other plants but if you want to keep them blooming for the summer and into the fall then it is well worth it. My dad loved his roses and he would really baby them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have the spot on your property, I say go for it! They are beautiful flowers and any type of rose will just do it for me. I have a miniature rose in my tiny garden and I just love it. If I have a larger area, I would just plant more miniature roses of different colors.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love roses and have one bush that I transplanted some time back. My son in law cut down all of the plants when he was mowing the grass including the rose bush, but I was able to save a piece which I planted out of the way of the lawn mower. Roses do require alot of water, you will need to remove the blooms once they have died, it is called dead heading, to allow the new blooms to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All I can add to this is find a rose you like and will do well in zone, then sit back and enjoy them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well whatever you do, make sure you wear some good gloves when you are out there. I still have a vivid memory of when I was a kid of going out and trying to grab some roses, thinking I would be a romantic, and getting a handful of thorns and crying out like the little whimp that I was. Lesson learned, though, and now I just share my story as a cautionary tale. Best of luck to you and stay safe.

Ask a Question