Thinking about worm bin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone long time since I posted my last thread but now wants to ask for some opinions about a worm bin. The reason is because three months ago got into a "vegetable juice and soup therapy" to loose some weight and I'm discarding a lots of scraps (the juicer pulp). I thought about the worm bin but I don't know where to start. I also have a tumbler that I want to use
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our compost bin is a planter box. Not fancy but the ordinary planter box with a pit of 6 inches deep and a foot in diameter. That's where we throw the leftovers of vegetables and fruits particularly the peel and the pulp. In a few days, the earthworm would eat those biodegradable refuse and the soil in that planter box can serve as fertilizer.

sbg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I recently started on this endeavor myself. Currently breeding two types of worms, red wigglers for composting and Alabama Jumpers for aerating. A lot of people use plastic bins or buckets. We went ahead and invested in a worm inn, but are also using 5 gallon buckets and a 30 gallon bin on casters that makes it easier to roll under a table. For the red's bedding, we're using shredded cardboard boxes. Many people shred newspaper to use as bedding, but boxes are easier for me to acquire and the worms seem to like that type of shredded corrugated paper.

Like I said, I'm new to this myself, but will be happy to help as I can.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have thought about starting worms also but didn't really know where to start with it. I had heard they were really great at breaking the items down faster and making great soil for any garden you may have. I am not up on the different types of worms, but I have never heard anyone complain that they were hard or that they regretted it.

I would think if you have lots to offer the little guys then go for it! You just might like it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I also would like to start a worm bin. I'm trying to find a good place online that diagrams how the worm farm works. I kind of get the process I think, where you have layers that the worms work their way through, most people seem to home-make totes on top of each other. I would like to make something out of wood that allows me to harvest the worm castings and make the tea by having a tap at the bottom of the bin. Any links to a good expandable wood design or diagram how this all flows together would be great!

Ask a Question