Thinking about getting an indoor plant for my apartment, but I live with cats..

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
What kind of plant should I get? Also, I don't think it's relevant, but I have two cats living inside the apartment. What plant can I get that wouldn't really disrupt the daily activities of my pets? Any ideas? More background, it's just a small apartment, gets enough sunlight, I just think it needs something to add to the surroundings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have two cats and they ignore my plants. You could always grow herbs - most do well inside with a sunny window and you can eat them too!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I have two cats and they ignore my plants. You could always grow herbs - most do well inside with a sunny window and you can eat them too!

Thank you but, I was thinking more of something that the cats wouldn't accidentally eat or something. Like a flower maybe? Any suggestions? With herbs, my cats might get curious and eat some, and it might cause reactions or something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
It's not going to matter what plant you get, as your cats are going to make a beeline for it and give it a good tasting just as soon as it arrives inside your home. I have one cat and an apartment full of house plants. My cat ignores all but two of them... my spider plant and my jade fingers plant. The jade fingers are delicate and fall off the trunk if you so much as look at them cross-eyed, so the cat loves to bat at them just to see them fall to the floor. The spider plant gets a good chewing every few days or so. Sometimes it makes her sick, sometimes not, but no matter where I put it, she will find a way to get to it, and will proceed to eat it just as fast as she can. I stopped fighting it long ago and that seems to keep her plant nibbling under control more than anything else. One thing though... I tried giving her a plant of her very own, a live catnip. I even placed it on the floor where she had immediate access to it. She ignored it completely and continued to chew my spider plant. She only likes catnip when it's dried, so I gave up on that idea too. These days when I get a new plant, I just show it to her first, let her sniff it all over and then when she's lost interest, I place it in my window with the others. That method seems to satisfy her curiosity pretty fast, but she still thinks of the spider plant and jade fingers as 'hers'.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
There are actually a few plants that were classified as toxic to pets such as the Elephant Ear, Oleander, Chinese Evergreen, Anthurium, Dieffenbachia, Callalily and English Ivy. Better take care that you do not purchase any of these plants as they may cause infections in animals. Pets such as dogs and cats tend to smell them and for younger pets, there will be a tendency for them to gnaw on a piece of leaf. Vets can also be a good source of information on what to avoid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
It's not going to matter what plant you get, as your cats are going to make a beeline for it and give it a good tasting
Have not found that with my cats.
In general, if you already have climbing activity play thing for your cats, with some cat nip rubbed on it. The cats should continue to navigate on their preferred space etc. I have cats and houseplants for last 14 years now, never harm has happened to either. They have enough cuddle soft places to get into and sleep, and dry cat food to eat that a house plant is the least of their thinking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've had cats and dogs along with plants (both indoor and outdoor) for over 40 years. Never had a problem...these are mostly carnivorous animals and in my experience don't pay much attention to plant matter as long as they're being fed adequatelt. Yes there is an alarmingly long list of plants (and other foods) POTENTIALLY harmful to our pet carnivores. But for the most part the animal needs to ingest a very large quantity, or eat it regularly over time, to suffer any ill effects. Cats in particular are obligate carnivores and have no natural urges to eat raw plants.

I did once have a young cat who thought he could use the houseplant pots as his personal potty. I got a cheap squirt gun and laid in wait for him. After being squirted with water a few times he gave up on the notion. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are a number of plants you can keep that are actually cat friendly, including cat grass and catnip. There are also quite a number that are toxic. The issue is really with the ages of your cats and what kind of access they have to the areas of your home. Kittens and younger cats are more likely to mess with plants than older cats. I am a virtual assistant for someone who provided pet care services and I recently put together a Pinterest board on this subject: https://www.pinterest.com/petitpetcare/garden-and-houseplant-safety/

Reaction score
Country
Romania
I have a lot of flowers in my home but since I bought home my cat she started eating most of them.Then I read an article about cat grass and its benefits for indoor cats. I bot some cat grass, I've put it in a pot like I did with any plant and after it grew the cat started eating it and left the other plants alone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A good plant for your place are airplane plants. They are easy to care for and help clean the air as well. I have never had a cat try to eat mine. Another good plant for the window is a hibiscus. They grow pretty flowers and have dark green leaves. I have one in my home that tolerates the Texas spring heat well, but not the blistering summer heat. You can buy the plant with the following cheery blooms: red, yellow and various shades of pink.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have an herb garden that my cats completely ignore. I have a couple of pots growing cat grass and that's all they care about. So maybe get yourself a plant and get them one as well.

Reaction score
I live with an adult cat and two kittens and have plants like lucky bamboo and fortune plant inside the house. The adult cat and the other kitten largely ignore them but the other kitten gnaws on the leaves of the fortune plant when she gets hungry. Poor plant. The other danger is for cats to topple the potted plant over when they're playing. They are not completely incompatible, but you have to be ready for little disasters when you live with cats.

Ask a Question