There are worms in my dirt!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I went outside to empty out the rainwater collection bin and decided I may as well check on the compost while I was at it. The temperature still isn't all that hot out, but I have also been recycling old potting soil in the bin as well as my kitchen scraps and a little paper.

It's been at least a month, maybe a little longer since I opened the bin for any reason. I grabbed my trusty pronged cultivator and started raking through and turning the "soil" looking at what solid pieces remained, and then something caught my eye.

I could have sworn I'd seen a worm! When I set up my blue storage bin for composting I had drilled holes in the bottom to encourage worms, but as it was still winter when I started, I hadn't seen any. As I continued aerating, a little more carefully now, I discovered not only had I seen a worm, but there were even more worms inside!

Not wanting to disturb them too much, I put the lid back on the bin. Guess I won't have to set up a special worm bin after all! Yay!

Reaction score
My little boys would be in heaven if they saw all that dirt filled with worms. :D

It sounds like your compost is doing great. I wouldn't know where how to begin. I usually buy cow compost since its very cheap but I honestly don't know what is best to buy or create yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My little boys would be in heaven if they saw all that dirt filled with worms. :D

It sounds like your compost is doing great. I wouldn't know where how to begin. I usually buy cow compost since its very cheap but I honestly don't know what is best to buy or create yourself.

It's easy Lilley, you just do it, lol! I think I started a thread when I did mine, but here is a graphic that gives info on all the different ways to compost. Read through some of the other compost threads too and see what has worked for other folks.

2dbd8d9b8e0f75058f038a404b2c3b3e.jpg

Reaction score
Wow! That is great! Thank you. I didn't know there were several different kinds of compost. All I need now is a bin to get started. I am actually very excited to start my own compost.

I can only imagine my boys helping the compost by peeing in it. LOL :p

Reaction score
I remember when I was working a wormless garden. I had added manure and sand before I planted. After a few months, I noticed that the worms had arrived. That was an awesome day. (I've not done much in the way of compost heaps so I don't have a story about that. I'll settle for rejoicing with you in your experience, Chanell.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can only imagine my boys helping the compost by peeing in it. LOL :p

OMG! I don't think you want to start that, lol. Might end up with too much in there! I did see this woman on TV though that uses a jar instead of the toilet and then she pours it on a compost pile that's way in the back of her yard. I just wonder at how someone's health would affect the soil - I mean how many people drink as much water as they should, etc.?

How can you be sure there is enough heat to kill anything that should be killed -- after all "wee" is a human waste product.

Reaction score
Does your soil usually lack in worms? I always thought they were in soil everywhere, as I see them here even on sidewalks after the rain - that is how many we usually have around here. I know that you want them in the soil, but I always thought they were everywhere there was dirt (I have only ever known them to be everywhere in NJ.) Funny too because worms freak me out to touch, but yet I am so glad they are here :)
But that is awesome and I am happy for you!

Reaction score
OMG! I don't think you want to start that, lol. Might end up with too much in there! I did see this woman on TV though that uses a jar instead of the toilet and then she pours it on a compost pile that's way in the back of her yard. I just wonder at how someone's health would affect the soil - I mean how many people drink as much water as they should, etc.?

How can you be sure there is enough heat to kill anything that should be killed -- after all "wee" is a human waste product.

WOW!! That is a little extreme. o_O I wouldn't want them touching the soil.

I took my kids to Home Depot and had them help pick out some simple herbs to start. Our next step is the compost, hopefully we will start that by next month. It seems fairly easy with the step-by-step chart you posted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I went back out to the bin today to try and move the compost around a bit more since I hadn't wanted to disturb the worms too much the other day and it turns out there are a lot more in there than I had first realized.

Does your soil usually lack in worms? I always thought they were in soil everywhere...

I think you misunderstood. I set up a compost bin during the winter and I drilled holes in the bottom with hopes that earthworms would find their way into the bin. Well, until a few days ago that hadn't happened. I guess now that it's getting warmer they are becoming more active.

I took my kids to Home Depot and had them help pick out some simple herbs to start. Our next step is the compost, hopefully we will start that by next month. It seems fairly easy with the step-by-step chart you posted.

Good luck with the composting and the herbs! I found some terra cotta pots very reasonably priced recently that are the ideal size for herbs. I really need to transplant some stuff now that it's warming up outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So I was dumping out a flower pot that I'd been growing Thai basil in and lo and behold it had worms! I have been thinking of starting another compost bin or even doing the lasagna layers and just leaving them for a while. Now when I set up the other bin I'll already have a head start :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Congratulations on getting worms! LOL, I never thought I would be using that phrase!

Thanks, lol, I never thought I'd be excited over it! I'm really thinking of starting that second bin; that way the stuff in the first one will be ready for use sooner :) I have enough usable compost and potting soil for a few small containers, but I have lots of things that need transplanting.

Reaction score
Wow, that's actually pretty good. I've never seen a worm in my black compost bin. However, if it is a rainy day and I am in my garden I usually spot the worms and throw them in there. I hope I don't end up killing them, but I make sure I keep the compost material wet and full of dry organics. Hopefully your compost ends up turning into that nice rich black layer of soil that worms usually give you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow, that's actually pretty good. I've never seen a worm in my black compost bin.

Do you turn the soil? They aren't going to be found on the top, you have to gently dig or rake through the "dirt" to find them. Now that I know they are in there I try to be more careful about turning the soil so I don't injure them. My bin is actually just a large storage tub so I could conceivably lift or tilt it if necessary, but if you have one of those big, black domes it won't be as easy for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Here is a picture of a simple homemade compost bin. It was made using small trees, or branches that you may have laying around, especially if you live out in the country.
We have a lot of thick wooded areas near our trailer, so there is a lot of these little sapling trees that we can use to make one of these compost bins. It looks like it is pretty easy to make, which is important if you are like me and not a handyman type of person.
image.jpg

Ask a Question