The Frog Outside My Front Door

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Next to the front door of my house there are a couple of large bushes and it appears as though a frog has taken up residency. Each morning I hear the thing croaking and it has just started again. The funny thing is I can't find the frog. This morning my fiance and I went outside in search of it because it sounded like it was literally croacking at the front door. No such luck on finding it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Next to the front door of my house there are a couple of large bushes and it appears as though a frog has taken up residency. Each morning I hear the thing croaking and it has just started again. The funny thing is I can't find the frog. This morning my fiance and I went outside in search of it because it sounded like it was literally croacking at the front door. No such luck on finding it!
Depending on what frog it is it might actually be in the bush. Most of them live in the ground. Look for a hole about 2 inches in diameter and you will probably find him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just went outside and did not find a hole. The noise seems to have stopped for now. I will wait until he starts croaking again and then see if I can locate him. Is there anyway to coax him out of hiding? I just want to see what kind of frog it is out of curiosity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just went outside and did not find a hole. The noise seems to have stopped for now. I will wait until he starts croaking again and then see if I can locate him. Is there anyway to coax him out of hiding? I just want to see what kind of frog it is out of curiosity.
It might be a toad or a frog. If the sound is more of a deep croak it's probably a toad. If more of a chirp or kind of cricket sound it is probably a tree frog and he will be in the bush someplace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup. It croaks there because it specifically knows you'll keep searching for it :D lol

It's like a kid prank knocking on doors. Watch out or ol' Kermit will have you going paranoid haha!

Reaction score
I hope he isn't bugging you too much. I have had problems with annoying tree frogs that won't shut up at night and they are usually around the neighbors pond so I can't do anything about it. If you have a pond you might want to drain it for a but to encourage the frog to move on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I miss the sound of the frogs. It is to cold and I am sure most of them are hibernating out here. I thought they croaked because they wanted to attract a mate??

Every spring I would send the boys out to catch me little toads. My son works on a grounds crew and got me a couple of cute ones last year. I re-home them to my garden so they can eat the bugs and keep the eco system balanced. We get quite a few from the nearby creek but the last two years the creek ran awful dry so I thought catching a few would be a good idea.

It's sort of funny, if you walk along the houses by the creek in the evening or early morning after the toads get their legs you will find tons of them hopping thru the lawns. We used to stick them in out pockets in the beginning, now we bring a little bag. I have had some of the toads around for years, that is if I can keep my dog Baby away from them. She will hop on them and hurt them.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just want to see what kind of frog it is out of curiosity.

There are websites where you can listen to frog calls and it will tell you what you have. I can't link to any right now but you might want to look them up (y)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every once in awhile we get these little frogs that look like rocks inside the house. I don't know how they get in or where they come from. Any ideas here as to where these little frongs come from and how to keep them out of the house.

Reaction score
Awww! What a cutie! I for some reason find frogs and toads kind of cute, lol. I used to see a lot over here, I once saw a huge one just outside, it was white! Anyways, I hope you are lucky finding it! It looks like that little guy doesn't want to be found!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Our frogs here are very noisy during rainy days or perhaps they are toads. I can't find them either :D Few weeks ago.. My mom and I found this cute frog inside our house beside the bedroom door. I catched it so I can take him outside, oddly the frog didn't make a sound and he doesn't want to leave my hand even when I open my palm. I guided him to a big leaf by pushing him gently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
It's strange that I've seen this discussion now, because I hadn't seen a frog around here for ages - until this afternoon! I was out in my back yard watering my bonsai trees when I noticed something moving around and when I looked a bit closer, there he was. I'm not sure how he got there as the yard is small, with walls on all sides and he looked too fat to get under the only door.

The last time I saw a frog there, I used a spray of water from my hose to chase him out of the door, but today I didn't have time as I was running late for an appointment. I don't know whether he's still there because it was raining when I got home and has been ever since, but I hope he got out the same way as he got in. I certainly don't want him finding a way into the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have not heard the little guy croak in a couple of days so I think he moved on to a new home. I never did get to see him and that is kind of sad. There will be more though.

Ask a Question