Terrace gardening? how do you look at it?

Would you consider a vegetable and fruits garden in your terrace?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • may be!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I recently found out that people make gardens even on terrace. I was shocked to know that it has been happening a lot from the past 5 yrs or so and I have never come across it for such long time.
I read an article that, people go for terrace gardening when they do not have enough amount of place to have their own garden in front of their house. Most of the people who are into terrace gardening are much into growing the organic vegetables and fruits. They grow it for themselves and make sure they eat food that are chemical free. I am planning to have a vegetable and fruits garden on my terrace also, so that even I could have some chemical-free food. I have a small garden in front of my house, but I don't want to keep vegetables and fruits over there as I feel that they might not look that good in front of the house. Flowers make the garden look so beautiful and I wouldn't personally like to see vegetables when I am entering my house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think it's a great idea. If I didn't have enough space in my garden I definitely would give it a try. I don't see any reason why not: it's great to have your own fruits and vegetables. Also, I find them pretty, at least some of them:p . I believe they can make a nice decoration. These tomatoes are gorgeous:

growing-container-tomatoes.jpg

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. If I didn't have enough space in my garden I definitely would give it a try. I don't see any reason why not: it's great to have your own fruits and vegetables. Also, I find them pretty, at least some of them:p . I believe they can make a nice decoration. These tomatoes are gorgeous:

growing-container-tomatoes.jpg

yeah, I agree with you. I too don't find a reason why it can't happen. By the way, those tomatoes indeed look gorgeous and edible too. Great work.

Reaction score
The terraces in the front of my apartment building are larger than the ones in the back, because of the architecture of the building. If I had one of the bigger terraces in the front, I'd probably take a crack at growing some tomatoes. Since my unit is in the back, I have a small terrace, but a water view. That's the trade off. So I'll probably grow a couple of small herb plants in the limited outdoor space that I have around my front door.

Reaction score
Try to talk to the florist-designers :) They always know how to modify common place into smth miracle :) My friends from one of such shops, Megaflowers, made my balcony like a fairy tale :) It`s not an obligatory to go exactly to this shop, you also can find any articles or floristic magazines:)

Reaction score
I absolutely don't think there is anything wrong with that! You have to work with what you have! If you have a terrace but limited or no lawn space, it's a wonderful idea.

Reaction score
I think it's great if you can do it. The most I have done is some small peppers, I am still trying to see if they will survive. The trouble at my place is that I am not the only one living there, and that space is very small and made primarily for having breakfast out and such things- there's table and chairs, and a huge frizer (which is really useful, so I can't throw it out)....so basically the space for gardening is a single strip of land at the end of the balcony and some pots hanging over.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you should plant what ever you want front or back or side yard, who said vegetables had to be planted int the back yard only. I like to see yards that have vegetables mixed in with flowers in the front yard.

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I am currently living in a 2 bedroom apartment and I have a 3 year old tot who is extremely finicky when it comes to eating. His doctor told me that I need to find a way to get him to eat his veggies and more red meats (his iron is low). This is what encourage me to look into gardening. I did a little bit of research and found that including your children in the process of growing the food and making it, increases their interest and makes them excited to try new things.

I spoke to my mother about it (we both know nothing about gardening) and we went to Home Depot and bought a couple of pots, soil, and plant food. I then when to a supermarket and came across an adorable Mickey Mouse Greenhouse kit. We put together this little balcony garden to grow all of these different veggies, fruit and herbs. It was so exciting when we saw our hard work and dedication begin to grow and I had my son go out every 2 days to water his little garden.

My son got to see how plants grow, and as if by miracle he started asking for his vegetables at dinner time....It was awesome! Then all of my plants, almost simultaneously stopped growing. The little leaves started getting holes in them. The color on the leaves started to go from a vibrant green to like a pale yellow. Then everything just died, I am not sure what I did wrong to my happy balcony garden or if there are insects are something that got into them. But I am looking to give my garden another go.
Zorion garden.jpg

Reaction score
My daughter has started a terrace garden for the first time this summer. She has had limited success, but we have both enjoyed discovering the many clever ways gardeners have found to maximize space and produce a sizable harvest on a terrace. She is expecting her terrace to have some repairs completed in the near future, so her plans to expand her small plantings are currently put on hold.
The garden catalogs often have small versions of fruit trees and bushes specifically for terrace and other small space gardening. I was impressed with an apple tree designed to grow vertically in order to save space. Miniature versions of blueberries would be delightful, also. With good soil, it seems that the possibilities are limitless for growing one's own food on a terrace!

Reaction score
I will definitely give terrace gardening a try if I am not able to find a place with enough space for gardening. I think terrace gardening can get quite creative ;) I have seen some really creative terrace gardens so far, both for edibles and ornamentals.

I'd be more interested in growing ornamentals in a terrace in any given chance.

Reaction score
You have to build you terrace based how you need and what are the plant your going to have in your garden.

There is many designer available in our market those are very good mainly in gardening in terrace and inside gardening. http://simmengroup.ch/.

Ask a Question