Tasmanian Blue Gum & New Zealand Tea trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thought I would share a couple of the unusual things I am growing (unusual for Michigan).

First is my Tasmanian Blue Gum trees. I have two that I grew from seeds that will be a year old in January. They are native to Australia and the tallest one alive now is nearly 300 feet tall! Mine are about 5 feet tall but I had to cut the tops off and root prune them twice already or I am sure they would be 10 foot or taller by now. If you agitate or even slightly brush against the leaves the room fills up with a strong minty smell.

20151122_102112.jpg

20151122_102152.jpg

UNUSUAL TO ME, THE BRANCHES AND TRUNK START OUT SQUARE!
20151122_102335.jpg

These are my 2 New Zealand Tea trees. They are, well, obviously from New Zealand. They are either really big shrubs or small sized trees up to 50 feet tall. I grew mine from seeds and they too will be a year old in January. They are around five feet tall at the moment. I can't wait until they flower. I added a picture of what they look like when flowering so you can see why I am anxious for mine to burst into color next year!

20151122_102036.jpg

20151122_102254(0).jpg

SOME BRANCHES ARE OVER TWO FEET LONG!
20151122_102515.jpg

LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS NEXT SPRING!
1ba898042ed89278f1a28e44eda20b90.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Oh, I adore the smell of gum trees. Reminds me of Australia!! The New Zealand Tea Tree looks like it's going to be absolutely stunning come springtime - what a treat that will be to see in bloom!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is amazing and all your plants look incredibly healthy. I can't believe you could keep all them inside with such success!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow what a pop of colour! I'm looking forward to seeing what blooms you get in the spring :) I love the sound of those Blue Gum trees too, they look a bit like eucalyptus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How cool is that? You're doing such a great job with all your unusual indoor plants. Do you ever dream of moving somewhere more temperate so you can grow outdoors year around?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@amelia88: The smell is something else that is for sure. I was misting some plants today and lightly brushed up against one of the blue gums and instantly the roomed filled with the eucalyptus smells. I can't wait for spring to see what the tea trees do!!

@IcyBC: I spend a lot of time babying them all. Probably too much lol.

@Becky: How observant you are! The blue gum trees are Eucalyptus trees, Eucalyptus globulus. They are native to southern Australia and are the floral emblem of Tasmania.

@Beth_B: Yes Beth, I dream of it all the time, especially now that winter has arrived. Unfortunately, friends and family are all in Michigan so I have to adapt to indoor growing.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love your indoor garden. I had one that was the complete front room full of plants, it was a labor or love. Your plants loove so healthy, it will be good to see more pictures as they grow.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi I like the sound of your blue gum trees. Would it be too cold for them in NZ?

Thought I would share a couple of the unusual things I am growing (unusual for Michigan).

First is my Tasmanian Blue Gum trees. I have two that I grew from seeds that will be a year old in January. They are native to Australia and the tallest one alive now is nearly 300 feet tall! Mine are about 5 feet tall but I had to cut the tops off and root prune them twice already or I am sure they would be 10 foot or taller by now. If you agitate or even slightly brush against the leaves the room fills up with a strong minty smell.

View attachment 9873

View attachment 9874

UNUSUAL TO ME, THE BRANCHES AND TRUNK START OUT SQUARE!
View attachment 9875

These are my 2 New Zealand Tea trees. They are, well, obviously from New Zealand. They are either really big shrubs or small sized trees up to 50 feet tall. I grew mine from seeds and they too will be a year old in January. They are around five feet tall at the moment. I can't wait until they flower. I added a picture of what they look like when flowering so you can see why I am anxious for mine to burst into color next year!

View attachment 9876

View attachment 9877

SOME BRANCHES ARE OVER TWO FEET LONG!
View attachment 9878

LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS NEXT SPRING!
View attachment 9880

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thank you for the link I will take a look. Maybe you could help with my tree? I have no idea what it is. Would like to know. I love it and I've not come across another one like it in my travels. Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• My Trees 009.JPG
    My Trees 009.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 280
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Are there 2 trees there? I see solid green leaves and I see variegated white and green leaves. Also, a picture of the bark would help. You can often identify a tree species just by the bark. If I were you, I would get some close up pictures of the leaves as well as some pictures of the trunk. Then I would go to the following websites and search till you found your tree. I know it's a bit time consuming but that is what I would do. That or take those pictures to a nearby nursery and see if someone there knows.

http://www.terrain.net.nz/friends-of-te-henui-group/table-1.html
http://www.bushmansfriend.co.nz/content.asp?PageID=12325&orgfn=content

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thanks for your reply Java Guy. No it is one tree. I checked it out because I had wondered about that myself Here is a close up of the tree trunk and the leaves. It has tassel like flowers and when they die off it turns into this beautiful green foliage tree

Attachments

• More trees 001.JPG
    More trees 001.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 269
  • More trees 002.JPG
    More trees 002.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 279
  • More trees 003.JPG
    More trees 003.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 273
  • More trees 004.JPG
    More trees 004.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Java Guy sorry I'm trying to go on memory here. They are very fine hair like tassels the stem is light red and apricot looking.

Ask a Question