Sweet pea cuttings?

Reaction score
As the title says, can you take cuttings from sweet peas and if so how? Please keep it simple though because I'm very new at this.

Best regards,

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
As far as I know you can take cuttings from anything. The trick is in knowing how to root them and be able to grow new plants. Sweet pea seeds are so easy to get though. Do you have a pant growing already, or access to one?

Reaction score
Hi ChanellG,

I have about 9 growing from seed, but I'm nipping the growing tips to make them bushy, as someone here advised me, I was thinking rather than waste what I trim I could get them to root so that I get free plants.

Thank you ever so much for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, in that case, if I were you I would try one of the leaf methods for propagation. Depending on how long the cuttings are you might be able to root them in water. Try one in plain water, try one in aspirin water, put one in soil with a cloche, and see what you get.

Reaction score
As the title says, can you take cuttings from sweet peas and if so how? Please keep it simple though because I'm very new at this.

Best regards,

Dave
I have the same situation. I tried rooting some sweet peas and it worked! Used those fiber fill / polyester white type starter plugs soaked in RO water..... took about a week and a half in a tray with a tall dome @ 72* F. and 95% humidity. I took some pictures for you but I can not figure out what I'm doing wrong to upload to post. It uploads but then says ERROR. Help..... anyone, please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have the same situation. I tried rooting some sweet peas and it worked! Used those fiber fill / polyester white type starter plugs soaked in RO water..... took about a week and a half in a tray with a tall dome @ 72* F. and 95% humidity. I took some pictures for you but I can not figure out what I'm doing wrong to upload to post. It uploads but then says ERROR. Help..... anyone, please.

You may be restricted from uploading because you haven't posted that many messages yet. I used to have the same problem.

Congrats on starting new plants from the sweet pea cuttings. It's so exciting when your efforts pay off like that- gratifying too!

Reaction score
Thanks ChanellG for that info.
You're right..... this is fun and exciting. I like to experiment a bit, and keep learning.
Oh yeah.... I forgot to add.... the cutting / starter tray and dome also has low intensity indirect lighting.

Reaction score
You just gave me something to research. :) I never heard that peas can grow from cuttings. I have a healthy one that I can experiment with in my garden. I love a challenge. By the way I like the photo, great job. Best of Luck to you.​

Ask a Question