Survey on stacking a tree

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi,I am Jarenn and I am a Design and Technology student.I am here to take a survey on the methods of staking a tree.In my country,I often see young trees,being stack using a rope that is tied onto a piece of wood that is buried beneath the soil.This supports the tree from not toppling when there is a heavy storm or strong winds.But I have discovered that the rope and wood method is not essential in really stabilizing the tree.Strong winds and bad weather could blow them off.I believe this is a problem to be tackle.I am planning to design and make a product that would be attach to the stem of the tree,having 4 steel legs that would be hammered to the soil,supporting the tree from not falling.Well I can't show you the sketching of the product as this is only just a survey that shows that there is really a need to improve the methods of stacking.

So,do you think that there is a problem on the stacking methods that people are using now?Not very stable?Would harm the tree itself?Would you prefer having a strong product that is made with a strong material( like steel) to support the young tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,I am Jarenn and I am a Design and Technology student.I am here to take a survey on the methods of staking a tree.In my country,I often see young trees,being stack using a rope that is tied onto a piece of wood that is buried beneath the soil.This supports the tree from not toppling when there is a heavy storm or strong winds.But I have discovered that the rope and wood method is not essential in really stabilizing the tree.Strong winds and bad weather could blow them off.I believe this is a problem to be tackle.I am planning to design and make a product that would be attach to the stem of the tree,having 4 steel legs that would be hammered to the soil,supporting the tree from not falling.Well I can't show you the sketching of the product as this is only just a survey that shows that there is really a need to improve the methods of stacking.

So,do you think that there is a problem on the stacking methods that people are using now?Not very stable?Would harm the tree itself?Would you prefer having a strong product that is made with a strong material( like steel) to support the young tree?
You will find that tying a tree to 3 points will work better than 4 points. When one ties a tree it is not meant to be permanent, only long enough for the tree to become established. A lot of people drive a stake next to the trunk and then tie the tree to it. This is not good. A tree should be able to move in the wind, it will make the trunk stronger and a single stake driven through the root system of a young tree isn't a good idea either. Three fixed positions like an equilateral triangle is better than a square or rectangle. The tree should be tied to the stakes with something soft, like rope, not wire or cable. It should not be tight either. When ever I have to stake a tree I just use inexpensive plastic tent stakes driven into the ground every 60 degrees and tie with 3/8" cotton rope

Last edited:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Chuck and CanadianLori, the tree should be able to move with the wind when it is young, the stake is only until the root system becomes established.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am in agreement with the three above posters. A tree should never be staked so tightly that there is no movement allowed. By allowing the tree to sway a little, it sends a signal to the roots to start growing farther out, with the end result being a much healthier tree. And the only tree I would consider staking would be a bare root tree. (at least in my area, anyway)

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Thanks for all those who replied,I have an idea on to improve the stacking system,really appreciate your feedback:)

Ask a Question