Sunflower problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have this one corner of my garden that has been taken over by sunflowers. I've tried pulling them out, I've dug out roots from beneath the concrete slabs. It's winter, so I was hoping I would be able to kill it while it's dormant during the cold months. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this weed without using chemicals? I'm half tempted to just dump cement on it except it's about a fourth of my very tiny backyard. Help?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am curious about the exact identity of this persistently present sunflower. There are many perennial Sunflowers (Helianthus) as well as yellow daisies in other genera that are commonly referred to as sunflowers.
One particularly pleasant perennial sunflower is the Jerusalem Artichoke (Helianthus tuberous) that does double duty as both a robust ornamental and delicious vegetable. A bed of Jerusalem Artichoke would be boon of many blessings, even in a small garden.

Still, if the plant is truly not wanted, persistence with weeding is the key.
It would be good to see a photograph of the bed and the plant, but if we assume that the plant has truly taken over the entire bed, then one can be ruthless in digging with either spade or mattock. Turn up the entire bed, removing any plant tissue that is encountered. This material can be composted or left out until fully desiccated and then used as mulch.

Mulching, amending, and/or replanting the bed will further discourage resprouting. However, even after this effort, it is still quite possible that some additional sprouts will come up. These should be promptly and persistently removed when seen, until the plant is truly no longer present.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I like sunflowers, just planted some last year and hope they reseed themselves this year. I also ordered some giant sunflower seeds.

Just realized this is an old thread......lol

Maybe some more sunflower lovers will speak up.

219514764_10163531730453084_4039619384322860760_n.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
In addition to annual Sunflowers (Helianthus annuus, etc.), consider planting some perennial species as well. Maximillian Sunflower (Helianthus maximiliani) and Jerusalem Artichoke (Helianthus tuberous) are two robust and popular selections. Both are rated hardy to USDA Zone 4a (-30º F / -35º C)

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I like sunflowers, just planted some last year and hope they reseed themselves this year. I also ordered some giant sunflower seeds.

Just realized this is an old thread......lol

Sunflower lover here!
I agree with you and like to plant mammoth every year for the birds and I to enjoy.

Funny how these old threads seem to keep popping up...the Op on this thread hasn't been seen in over 5 and 1/2 years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is good that threads continue to be active when new interest or information warrants. The threads are never intended to be only for the benefit of the original poster.

Often a query has been left unanswered or incompletely answered for years. I suppose this is just as well, if all previous posters truly had nothing meaningful to say on the subject, but often the neglect seems due solely to collective apathy.

Also there are many mistakes to correct, such as confusing elisions, misleading statements, internal contradictions, and doubtful advice. Many times there is one or more inarguable factual errors that simply must be refuted. It really is important to clean up and improve the threads whenever possible. That is if the Forums are to be any sort of reliable or trustworthy online resource.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
It is good that threads continue to be active to when new interest or information warrants. The threads are never intended to be only for the benefit of the original poster.

Often a query has been left unanswered or incompletely answered for years. I suppose this is just as well, if all previous posters truly had nothing meaningful to say on the subject, but often the neglect seems due solely to collective apathy.

Also there are many mistakes to correct, such as confusing elisions, misleading statements, internal contradictions, and doubtful advice. Many times there is one or more inarguable factual errors that simply must be refuted. It really is important to clean up and improve the threads whenever possible. That is if the Forums are to be any sort of reliable or trustworthy online resource.
This is also why I prefer forums over other social media as Facebook, Twitter etc. I belong to a couple of gardening FB groups, but if you remember about something and try and find it, it is nearly impossible. Forums are divided into catagories and with the search function, you can find that stuff.
OK...back to your regularly scheduled sunflower talk

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It is good that threads continue to be active to when new interest or information warrants. The threads are never intended to be only for the benefit of the original poster.

Agree 100% Marck!
I really enjoy and appreciate the old threads which you bump up. As you mentioned, it initiates discussion and new interests. Otherwise, the forum may remain inactive indefinitely.

Ask a Question