Success with the sweet potato

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I had sliced off that part of a sweetpotato that had sprouted and planted it in a pot. The soil was good and I used to just water it. It grew well and yesterday I noticed that the leaves had turned yellow. I just dug it out and there I saw a well grown sweetpotato. I have a sweet potato patch where I have planted cuttings of this plant just not knowing if I will be a success. But seeing this sweet potato I am hoping that this patch will also yield.
My day is done.

003.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one, tried growing one over here but it didn't come to anything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Nice one, tried growing one over here but it didn't come to anything.

It needs sandy soil and ofcourse it should be rich too. I use my own compost for my whole garden.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't work in my clay soil

Reaction score
Nice sweet potato, it's of a really good size. Good job, I hope very soon you will be updating us with good news about the other sweet potatoes you planted in the other patch :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm happy for you, Grouie!:)
Growing new plants is an amazing experience. I'll never forget the first time when I managed to propagate a miniature rose. It was so exciting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@grouie may I congratulate you on that sweet potato harvest. What we plant for sweet potato are the cuttings although the sweet potato itself can be used for planting as well. It is a sturdy plant that doesn't need regular watering and very prolific with the leaves and the vines. We eat the young leaves by boiling and dipping in a special sauce.

Here is our sweet potato plantation.
IMG_4122 camote ok.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, this is a lot of sweet potato plants, Corzhens!:)
I dream about eating sweet potato fries. According to my friend, they're super delicious:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@grouie may I congratulate you on that sweet potato harvest. What we plant for sweet potato are the cuttings although the sweet potato itself can be used for planting as well. It is a sturdy plant that doesn't need regular watering and very prolific with the leaves and the vines. We eat the young leaves by boiling and dipping in a special sauce.

Here is our sweet potato plantation. View attachment 7577

I too have a small patch and am waiting anxiously for the yield. I too have noticed they do not need much attention. I have not tried eating leaves but shall do so now. Thanks for the tip.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have grown the plant from a cutting and just got a pretty plant no more sweet potatoes but I kept it in water also maybe that's way I never got new potatoes.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can't stand em meself, just wanted to see what the plant was like :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have grown the plant from a cutting and just got a pretty plant no more sweet potatoes but I kept it in water also maybe that's way I never got new potatoes.
Obviously keeping any plant in water will not yield. (lol)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I should have clarified. I did have success earlier but that was when they were in the ground. This sweet potato was from the pot. When mongooses started destroying the crop I tried the pot. I have once again created a patch on the ground but we are keeping a vigil.

Ask a Question