Stunning succulent ground cover

Reaction score
I was looking for some information online and came across this stunning succulent ground cover. This would be so easy to maintain, so cool and colorful. I agree a lot of people use succulents for ground cover.. but this one real took my breath away. Have you designed your garden with succulents for ground cover? Share your pictures here..
c8c180f6a355e671960447a0b40cb88b.jpg

Dymondiapathway(c).jpg

tarrex_large.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
That is the prettiest ground cover that I have ever seen ! Usually, you see these planted in someone's old boot or shoe, or in an odd planter of some kind. I did not know that succulents would spread that way. I am definitely going to have to find an area where I can plant some and let them spread. Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures !

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This would be a very easy garden to care for which required very little water. Great idea, I think I have just the right spot in the front for something like this.

Reaction score
I have been thinking of making my pump house roof a green roof, wanted to make it out of succulents, this might just be the thing I was looking for.

Jed

Reaction score
Beautiful. I love succulents. I have a concrete garden Mexican sombrero hat :confused: which I may resurrect and plant some into it. I once had cactus growing in it.

Reaction score
Wow I am glad that these pictures motivated you..
@ Jed succulents are way better than concrete :)
@ pat, post a picture of your succulent garden once you are done planting.
@Tmann .. don't forget to show us how your pump house looks when you are done
@ happyflowerlady.. I agree these are indeed the prettiest succulent garden I have seen too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love succulents, but I don't think I would ever want to have them as ground cover. I think that is more popular in desert areas and places where it doesn't rain as much. I like large repurposed containers with succulents though. I saw a great image of a miniature succulent garden in a long driftwood log that was really pretty. It's one of those things like buying art or some kind of furnishing that doesn't fit with the rest of your decor.

Reaction score
I love succulents, but I don't think I would ever want to have them as ground cover. I think that is more popular in desert areas and places where it doesn't rain as much. I like large repurposed containers with succulents though. I saw a great image of a miniature succulent garden in a long driftwood log that was really pretty. It's one of those things like buying art or some kind of furnishing that doesn't fit with the rest of your decor.

The beauty of these succulents seem to shine at their best when they are used as ground cover.. you could use it in that part of your garden where the soil is not rich or where there is too much sun for any good. I would also think for those that do not want to work very hard but yet have a lovely colorful garden this would be a great idea..
I think garden paths that are lined with stones could have these lovely succulents as edging .. they would make a great garden design.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I guess I prefer a nice patch of grass :)

We used to have a really nice lawn before the storm and before some other events in the aftermath of it. The lawn area is not that big, only a few feet by a few more feet, so I'd like to keep it as a lawn. This time of year, there's lots of clover, which reminds me of childhood. The driveway isn't very long (two cars can squeeze in) and I would like to replace the grass on either side with gravel and repave the drive itself.

The rest of the grass in back is pretty much gone from neglect and trampling over the years so I want to create a patio by doing some DIY paving - the kind where you get a mold and pour cement like this:

8c27902be9bb620de1537e6e2e83fe6f.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, and I wanted to say I would prefer my succulents in a container. I am thinking about doing something like this if I can find the right spot for it:
168b1bb854074de5e018f5f661ba9c23.jpg

These plants are lovely, but they are not really a part of the traditional landscape here, do it doesn't really work with the average garden design. It's funny too, because every now and then you see a house that has more of a southwest/texmex kind of landscaping and it stands out.

This isn't a container of succulents, but I think it could work for them just the same. I love the idea of repurposing the boat! This would be great to do if someone lived near the water.

48675757f054aedcb65d978f09dc6c1a.jpg

BTW, both of these and the one above are on my Pinterest board Great Garden Ideas if anyone is interested.

This is a nice use of succulents as edging in the garden:

9ec04cd27554ab82c4dfc978f4058812.jpg

Reaction score
Oh, and I wanted to say I would prefer my succulents in a container. I am thinking about doing something like this if I can find the right spot for it:

This isn't a container of succulents, but I think it could work for them just the same. I love the idea of repurposing the boat! This would be great to do if someone lived near the water.

48675757f054aedcb65d978f09dc6c1a.jpg

BTW, both of these and the one above are on my Pinterest board Great Garden Ideas if anyone is interested.

This is a nice use of succulents as edging in the garden:

9ec04cd27554ab82c4dfc978f4058812.jpg

As for me I don't care too much for tradition.. I do what I like with my garden... LOL
Chanell, I love the look of this last picture.. I would have designed the succlents in the boat a little more differently/ read colorfully or grown tomatoes and veggies in it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would have designed the succlents in the boat a little more differently/ read colorfully or grown tomatoes and veggies in it :)

Those aren't succulents, Maddie, it's a vegetable garden. At least, I assume it is. It looks like lettuces at the edge there and I assume those a beans climbing up the structure in back. Some of the plants aren't edible though, so who knows.

Reaction score
Those aren't succulents, Maddie, it's a vegetable garden. At least, I assume it is. It looks like lettuces at the edge there and I assume those a beans climbing up the structure in back. Some of the plants aren't edible though, so who knows.
LOL I do think they are lettuces and vegetables.. now that I took a closer look. I think that is a wise choice.. I love the lush look of lettuce and it could surely be my first choice for a raised garden like that.. tomatoes would be second and oh yes basil and cilantro would fill up the extra spaces. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I need a nice. big container for creating a salad garden. That way I can always have lettuce on hand when I want/need it. I would still like to do something pretty with succulents though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really don't like succulents and I prefer not to have them in my garden but I must say that I love most of the pictures here, they're stunning. Who would think that succulents can look so nice?:p
I found another interesting picture:

390Echeveria_elegans5.jpg

Ask a Question