Stuffed Mushrooms and types to use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading up on different mushrooms for different tasks. I've been told various recipes on a cooking forum for how to prepare them and I've been taking notes, but none of them specifically mention which are the best type TO stuff.

Some of the new recipes I want to try are cheddar stuffed and leek stuffed mushrooms over meatsauce. Sounds very delectable. I'm just at odds to figure out which mushroom (medium or large size type) would be ideal for this kind of undertaking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother stuffs white mushrooms that look like those (I'm not sure what is their English name):

pieczarki-fot-shut.jpg

The bigger they are, the easier it is to stuff them. Just thinking about them makes me hungry, they're so yummy!:D

Reaction score
Portobellos are great for stuffing, because they are large enough and flat, so you'll have no trouble stuffing them =D Cremini are also a great choice, because portobellos tend to be more expensive, so try cremini.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I always pick mushrooms based on the size and shape for stuffing. It depends on the look I want. When making appetizers, I want small bite-sized mushrooms that are deep enough to hold the stuffing. For an entree, I frequently use big portabellos and rather than "stuffing" them, you sort of just lay the stuff on top.

Real chefs however would probably advise you to choose mushrooms based on flavor. Most cooking blogs I read suggest specific mushrooms in recipes, but many are rather spendy. The white ones above are easy and cheap, but relatively flavorless in my opinion. You can "baby" portabellos that are the same size and shape but have a bit more flavor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the great input and feedback. I'll have to try some ports and if not, I'll try Cremini.

Yeah, I got the idea of layering the mushroom, but I wanted to stuff it. I've tried plenty of mushrooms for toppings or a pizza, or lasagna or even subs. However, I've only recently tried stuffed mushrooms because of our local Chinese restaurant. They make some banging steamed ones, made me venture into this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Sorry, I couldn't resist this one :oops: Maybe try psilocybin shrooms? They taste terrible :poop:... but after awhile things change. You know? Tight skin, lousy tailor kind of stuff :cry: Sometimes, I just can't behave. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Many of you mentioned cremini mushrooms. What do they taste like? I've never eaten them. In general, I'm a little scared of eating mushrooms, since so many of them are poisonous.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's a little snippet for ya, Claudine.

From "Cremini, or Crimini mushrooms."

"These type of mushrooms tend to be dwarf, miniature versions of the Portabella mushroom family, maturing to the Portabella at a later state but they were harvested earlier. Crimini mushrooms are also called "Baby Bellas" and is actually a cousin to "White Button Mushrooms" - small by way of use, and by other consumers and users were very happy by how they added to the meals I've used them in. Since they taste instead of just being bland (White Button Mushrooms) - they have actual flavor. Love to cook with them.

Though they are different, this is the closest generalization I could find.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you. Shimus:) I really want to try Cremini mushrooms. I think I'd love them:) I already love white button mushrooms.
I hope I'll find them in stores in my area:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I have to admit, I love the flavor of something cooked with mushrooms but have never liked the texture. My roommate thinks I am nuts but I just can't bite into one. He, on the other hand can eat them like candy. As I do all of the cooking this thread has been quite helpful. I may have to make him some stuffed mushrooms one of these days.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have to admit, I love the flavor of something cooked with mushrooms but have never liked the texture. My roommate thinks I am nuts but I just can't bite into one. He, on the other hand can eat them like candy. As I do all of the cooking this thread has been quite helpful. I may have to make him some stuffed mushrooms one of these days.

You sound like me, but I have your room-mates liking for mushrooms. Raw. Washed and steamed. Cooking in a dish. I could eat them in any form, but I do most of the cooking and the people who eat generally don't like them. That's why I don't tell them what's in it most of the time and they scarf it right down and compliment me on a job well done. They're none the wiser and it's good for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I could eat mushrooms in any form too:) They're so unbelievably yummy!
I always envy people who know a lot about mushrooms and aren't afraid of picking them in a forest. It sounds like so much fun! Unfortunately, I can't tell the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous varieties.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Neither could I, Claud. I always left that up to professionals (Truffles) and just bought store ones or planted my own portabellas or button shrooms. They always seem to do the trick. Sometimes I like buying Shiitake mushrooms in large quantities for stews. They taste wonderful simmering for hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
You sound like me, but I have your room-mates liking for mushrooms. Raw. Washed and steamed. Cooking in a dish. I could eat them in any form, but I do most of the cooking and the people who eat generally don't like them. That's why I don't tell them what's in it most of the time and they scarf it right down and compliment me on a job well done. They're none the wiser and it's good for them.
Well I think I would be able to detect the mushrooms due to the texture. As I said, I love the flavor as long as I don't have to bite into one and unless you chop them up very finely I would definitely find them..lol

Ask a Question