Stairstep Garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently saw a stairstep garden and thought it was a very clever idea. It is basically long window box type planters on stair risers. Has anyone tried this and can offer advice?

I've seen something similar to this with strawberries. Are there other plants that would work equally well, other than herbs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Biggest advice I can give you is don't make it too wide or too tall for you to be able to reach your plants to cultivate or harvest in the future without damaging or destroying the plant. I live in a house of giants and the house was built by them to fit with their height. I am on 5'51/2 so everything is too wide or too tall for me and there are times when things get damaged because of me trying to work with it. Even the step stool does not help sometimes.

Reaction score
My dad was planning to do something like this on the side of a hill in the back yard. The soil was so rocky nothing could grow there, so he was going to put planters in it with good potting soil so that something could grow. I think it's a good idea but definitely make sure you can reach all the way to the top without having to do anything risky. It definitely has the potential to allow you to grow more things by maximizing the sun exposure you can get in a given set of square feet.

Reaction score
I recently saw a stairstep garden and thought it was a very clever idea. It is basically long window box type planters on stair risers. Has anyone tried this and can offer advice?

I've seen something similar to this with strawberries. Are there other plants that would work equally well, other than herbs?

Stairstep and stacked pot gardens are a great way of growing a lot in a small place - especially as there are now fruit and vegetable strains available that are well suited to growing in small pots and hanging baskets - as well as dwarf fruit trees and bushes.

So to be honest I would have to say that you could grow whatever you wish to - provided that the containers are wide enough and deep enough to accommodate the plants that you wish to grow - as well as positioned to receive the right amount of sun/shade to suit the correct growing conditions of the chosen plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I hear about stairstep gardens. Do they look like this?:

Stair-vertical-planter.jpg

It seems like something perfect for people who have small gardens but want to grow many different plants at one time. I like it, it looks really nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Oh I so like this, I want to do this! what a great way to keep the critters away from some of my veggies. I have a raised garden bed and put some of the window boxes along the bottom. I put in marigolds because they keep the rabbits out, it never occurred to me to go up like stairs. I don't know if I would go that high up though.

I can see this being great for lettuce and collards. Would this be deep enough for snap peas?

Ask a Question