Spring is Coming

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you see blue jays, cardinals and red breasted robins in your yard do you feel like spring is close?

We just had 26 inches of snow dumped on us and still have snow piles on the shady sides of the street but we have had blue jays, cardinals and red breasted robins in the yard.

I am ready for a short winter with spring around the corner.

How about you?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have Cardinals and Blue Jays year round here. We also see Robins year round, but much fewer in Winter, just the ones that stick around and survive on berries. A definite sign of Spring is when the ground is soft enough so that the Robins begin hunting worms again. When I start seeing Robins hopping back & forth in the grass, it's a sure sign of spring!

I am SO ready for Winter to end! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
For me it's when the birds start to sing, at this time they are becoming territorial and preparing for nesting. We've had a long winter here because of the endless rain and wind since the beginning of November, so hearing the birds tells us that the weather is starting to break and spring is on it's way......and they've started to sing over the last week. :)

Obviously we have different birds here and our Robin is smaller than the American one and with us all year round. They tend to eat more insects and grubs here but will tackle small worms.

032.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I'm so ready for spring! We didn't have any crazy snow or anything like that this year, just one solitary day where snow actually stuck to the ground! So it's been a little disappointing I guess! I am looking forward to warmer weather, longer sunlight hours in the day, and beautiful blooms all around. Spring is my favorite season, really, so I often look forward to it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
When you see blue jays, cardinals and red breasted robins in your yard do you feel like spring is close?
all of the above have never left.
and with the extra 4 inches of snow. nope no spring feeling here. March is still to come. Does it come in like a lion or lamb that will determine the rest of March. Just enjoying the silence of the snow. Not to rush the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have Robins, cardinals,Blue Jays and lots of other birds all winter, but I know spring is just around the corner when the female cardinals show up and the blue jays are starting to pair off. Even with the ground covered with snow their all looking for a place to build their nest and a free meal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I went for a walk yesterday and saw many snowdrops:) It's warmer now, the sun is shining bright and it definitely feels like spring.
My dog refuses to come home, he wants to spend every waking minute in the garden;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh how I wish there were signs of spring coming soon to me. We have been dealing with rain for the last couple of days. Unlike last year, I refuse to be in the mid winter funk. I am trying to enjoy each day as much as I can and look for beauty all around me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So far, winter has eluded us. The temptation is to begin putting a few seedlings in the ground and see what happens. But that would be around 6 weeks premature. I keep bracing for that arctic blast, I'm sure it's coming.

When I was a kid, I was taught that the robin was one of the first signs of spring. I rarely see them here, though. I'm seeing buds on the trees now, but surprisingly, no daffodils or tulips yet.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is really cold here but the birds are here picking at the ground looking for food. I do put bread out for them when we have old bread.

Reaction score
Not very happy :( It gets really hot over here and spring and summer have never been my favorite seasons for that very same reason. I'm actually a bit sad to see the winter didn't last as long as it did most years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So much for a early spring, we have about 6 inches of snow cover now and the temp is 8f and the wind is blowing like crazy, no walking the dog this morning:(.

Ask a Question