Spreading Fertilizer in Narrow Areas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
A number of areas of our St. Ausgstine lawn are only 3 to 4 feet wide. I generally use a hand held Scott's spreader but even it throws fertilizer into flower/evergreen beds running along side of these narrow lawn strips. Should I be concerned about the fertilizer, sometimes weed & feed, getting into the beds? Any suggestions on how to spread in such narrow confines?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As long as what you are putting down is not high in Nitrogen, there shouldn't be any problems. If you are still concerned, you might want to apply with a hose-end applicator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A number of areas of our St. Ausgstine lawn are only 3 to 4 feet wide. I generally use a hand held Scott's spreader but even it throws fertilizer into flower/evergreen beds running along side of these narrow lawn strips. Should I be concerned about the fertilizer, sometimes weed & feed, getting into the beds? Any suggestions on how to spread in such narrow confines?
Scotts Weed & Feed has a broadleaf herbicide in it. That's why its called Weed & Feed. Why anyone uses this garbage is beyond me. It is harmful to the environment . If you fertilize, fertilize with a product that benefits the environment and your soil yet doesn't harm anything. Use organics, they work just as good as chemicals.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lou, can you put up a temporary barrier that will protect your flowers and evergreens? We used a roll of Kraft paper (cheap from a big box store) to protect a bed of succulents when we were spreading fertilizer. We just put wooden stakes up, stapled the paper to it, spread the fertilizer, then took the stakes up and ripped off the paper, which ended up in our compost pile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
For the area in question I will do as Dr Case suggested. I'm getting a new spreader with a guard for all other bed/lawn areas. Our postage stamp size property poses numerous unique challenges. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For the area in question I will do as Dr Case suggested. I'm getting a new spreader with a guard for all other bed/lawn areas. Our postage stamp size property poses numerous unique challenges. LOL
By far the most effective weed preventer is a lawn mower. If the weeds can't go to seed they will not come back. You can distribute all of the poisons there are but if the weeds go to seed welcome them back next year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Our yard is 99.8% weed free due to a good preventative maintenance program. I applaud all who use green fertilizers and the such. Simply put, I do not.

Ask a Question