Spinach leaves rotting

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
See pic, I did find a small worm/bug but I think that was a coincidence (1 leaf only). Never had this before. My spianch always rocked, that said I am fairly sure I got some really bad soil this spring (I added a couple yards to my raised beds).

What is this?

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
trying again! pic

Attachments

• temp spin.JPG
    temp spin.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 413

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been watering them a lot, but no more then last year. It recently hit my spinach still growing from last year too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been watering them a lot, but no more then last year. It recently hit my spinach still growing from last year too.
You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often. You will also weaken the plant and allow it to become infected with soil born pathogens much easier. A thorough deep soaking every 7 - 10 days is usually more than adequate for most any plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree it looks like too much water. It is actually best for most plants to get a little too little water than a little too much - wilting is OK and makes the plant stronger. Some commercial tomato growers actually withold water late in the season - the leaves start dying off but then the plant puts all its energy into growing fruit and that increases yield.

I'm not too far north of you, in Michigan, and the last two seasons have been very rainy. I barely watered my vegetable garden but still had split tomatoes, brown leaves on greens, and low yield on some plants because it was so gloomy and wet.

Stop watering altogether and only water during extended periods of dry and windy weather, or if the plants start to wilt. Then give them a ton of water and ignore them for a while again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yikes I water every day!
A little rule of thumb: Stick your entire pointing finger into the soil, pull it out and blow on it. If, when you do this and it feels only slightly cool you do not need to water at that time

Ask a Question