Something's gotta be wrong with my soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Over the past 5 years I have attempted to grow onions, radishes, and beets but have no success. Every year, the plants grow above the ground and never become 'plump'. I look at them and think they are trying to run away. The beets and radishes will have a long skinny root above ground, and typically large leaves. If a radish happens to actually form, it is extremely hot. The onion bulbs end up nearly completely above the soil and only double in size from the starter sets.

I planted a few radishes in a planter 4 weeks ago and they now have adorable 4 inch leaves with beautiful radishes (a little small, but very tasty). So I think something is missing from the soil -- it is a raised bed that was originally filled with top soil (I knew nothing!), peat, and compost. I believe I've added compost yearly, maybe 1-2 inches and mix it in. The soil still seems very heavy.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

What else is growing in that bed this year-- The romaine grew great, but it doesn't form a tight head -- it's more like a stalk. The leaves are a bit on the delicate side, but taste like lettuce (hooray!!). A few tomato plants - one died a few weeks after setting fruit, the others look good -- I typically will lose some or all my tomato plants suddenly, but I assume Black Walnut is partially to blame. I have one pepper plant, but it only flowers, no fruits. Then I have a cucumber plant that looks really good, has some small fruits on it. But my pride and joy are the peas. Each year, if the chipmunks/rabbits don't kill them, I get great peas. In the past chard and kale were also successful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where do you live? What is your geographical location? Someone that lives in your area may be able to give you the best advise. What works for me may not work for you. We need to know your weather conditions and soil type.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds to me like your soil ph may be too low for these crops. (Too acidic)
It's easily adjustable with garden lime @ 1 lb/sq yd, and if you have access to a decent amount of woodash, halve the lime and make up the difference with woodash, which will also add nutrients and minerals.

A word of caution; you should not use fertilisers 3 weeks either side of liming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I agree with @gary350 that weather conditions and the soil may be the factors for your problem. With dry weather, the antidote is regular watering. Earlier this year when we were hit by a drought, we water the garden once in the morning and once in the late afternoon but sometimes we add another watering in the evening when the weather is too hot for comfort because in the morning some plants would show signs of withering.

With the soil, you may need to remix not just the topsoil but the soil up to 6 inches deep maybe. What we usually do is to add rice husk. That is very effective in neutralizing bad soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where do you live? What is your geographical location? Someone that lives in your area may be able to give you the best advise. What works for me may not work for you. We need to know your weather conditions and soil type.

I am in Wisconsin - zone 5b. I'm not sure of my soil type -- there is some clay in the base soil. Also to note -- wood violets are prevalent.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would definitely add some garden soil to the soil and amend it. The variety of lettuce also determines what it will look like. Romaine grows tall and stalky (was tricked before I knew better, thinking it was head lettuce :)) As far as radishes, I'm no help there, but as for onions.. They have tells. The top part will start to dry out, when they're almost ready. Let them completely die off and then wait 2 weeks before pulling them. Also, if you are expecting a heavy rain, pull them before the 2 weeks because rain and mature onions do not mix (they like to be stored dry). Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The problem with your soil could be biophysical in my opinion. Plant roots are responsible for soil acidity which binds some nutrients in the soil necessary for plant health. The remedy in this case is to apply agricultural lime to neutralize the organic acids and then you will see a great difference. You should also apply foliar feed in the form of Magnesium sulphate which will stimulate photosynthesis to back this up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem with your soil could be biophysical in my opinion. Plant roots are responsible for soil acidity which binds some nutrients in the soil necessary for plant health. The remedy in this case is to apply agricultural lime to neutralize the organic acids and then you will see a great difference. You should also apply foliar feed in the form of Magnesium sulphate which will stimulate photosynthesis to back this up.

I will look into getting my soil pH tested (I'm assuming neutral pH is best for most veggies??), and finding a source of lime

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I will look into getting my soil pH tested (I'm assuming neutral pH is best for most veggies??), and finding a source of lime

Thanks!
Neutral to slightly acidic for most veg.
The problem is that most vegetable matter is slightly alkaline, and if everything is going back into the soil, it may be many years before the soil pH is disturbed, however most plant material is slightly alkaline, so if you remove plant material from the natural cycle, by harvesting veg, the alkalinity you remove lowers the pH, and this continues until the soil becomes too acidic for some plants to take up nutrients.

Here's a table of preferred pH levels to help you:

31504d1345227297-request-smple-ph-mineral-chart-vegetable_ph.jpg

Ask a Question