Slowing Down in winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you try gardening efforts slow down during the cold winter months? I find that I am much less motivated because I hate being outside when it is cold out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My efforts don't slow down at all. I suppose it's because fall and winter are some of the best gardening months and it is the perfect time to get your garden ready for the spring. I don't have to worry too much about bugs and my beer stays colder too

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Between cleaning up the spent tomato vines and pepper plants, and making sure that the rest of the fallow garden is covered with compost, winter is a busy time for gardening here. We still have cold season crops growing--broccoli, peas, lettuces, onions, and garlic.

Reaction score
I just do container gardening in Florida so I don't really see much of a difference in my gardening activity in winter. I do sometimes have to move plants indoors when it gets colder, but that's about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really don't like to do much outdoors when it is cold unless I am going out in the snow to play with my kids. I really need to get into indoor gardening one of these days so I can work on plants all year long.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would have to say yes, my gardening efforts to slow down in the winter. I seem to have so much going on in the winter months, of course you got the holidays to prepare for. And for me this takes up the majority of mine time, and trying to maintain my household. I personally love my gardening hobby, but it seems I can't maintain everything in the winter months. Were I live we get plenty of our share of snow so at times the weather makes things very difficult. I have a greenhouse outback but as a cold as it gets here my plants freeze up and I eventually. I have tried different things in my greenhouse for my plants during the winter months but everything that I have done has failed due to the harsh freezing weather. So I eventually gave up on the idea of trying to keep my plants going at all in winter.

Reaction score
Not really no - as apart from the fact that there is generally something that needs doing in my garden 365 days of the year - this is the time of year when I'm probably most active - particularly as the cooler temperatures makes doing some of the heavy jobs a whole lot more pleasant - its also a time of year when not only is there a lot of tidying up to be done as well as preparation for the growing season next year but also when the harvesting of the citrus fruits and olives begin - which generally keeps me pretty busy from now right through to the end of March.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am more of a hobby gardener due to the lack of earth space where I live right now. Once I get a bigger yard, I am sure it will become more if a year round thing for me. Someday I would like to be able to grow most of my own produce.

Reaction score
My gardening definitely slows down in the winter. It's already gray here and everything is largely headed into dormancy. Except for the periwinkle it just keeps going and going like the Energizer bunny. Other than that, and some cedar (which I don't have any in my yard), it's just...well...ugly.

Ask a Question