Shade flowers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am trying to plant some flowers in a pretty shaded area. I'm wanting a variety of color, and I would really like them to be perennials. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hosta, lily of the valley, that plant that seems to have sprung up in my yard with purple flowerets on a stalk and dark leaves. that small plant with bluesih 'cup' flowers.

Do you want flowers all the same time or flowering at different times to have color through the seasons?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi @LilAnn, I maybe missed where you live: that makes a big difference in your options. What's appropriate in Florida probably won't work in north Dakota or Arizona..

Most decent greenhouses have a "shade perennial" area with plants that will work in your region. I adore hostas and have many. Ferns don't flower but add a lot of interest. Other flowering perennials around here include bleeding heart, violets, bush honeysuckle, phlox, lilies, hydrangea. ...in general blue and purple flowers do better in shade or part shade.

But for accurate and helpful responses you really need to respond with at least your region.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi @LilAnn, I maybe missed where you live: that makes a big difference in your options. What's appropriate in Florida probably won't work in north Dakota or Arizona..

Most decent greenhouses have a "shade perennial" area with plants that will work in your region. I adore hostas and have many. Ferns don't flower but add a lot of interest. Other flowering perennials around here include bleeding heart, violets, bush honeysuckle, phlox, lilies, hydrangea. ...in general blue and purple flowers do better in shade or part shade.

But for accurate and helpful responses you really need to respond with at least your region.
I'm in Kentucky, far west, northern corner. No mountains or a trying like that

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
State cooperative extensions and Master Gardener programs are a fantastic resource; you might find this helpful:
https://www.uky.edu/Ag/Horticulture/homehort2.html
Or this:
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Horticulture/gardenflowers/zbestshade.html

You are lucky to live in a very pretty area! After looking at the second link, I remember I also have coral bells and hardy geraniums; if they grow here they will surely do great where you live. There is also a hardy perennial begonia that I've grown up here before. I'm going to give another shout-out for hostas: they do not have long-lived or showy flowers but there's about 400 hosta varieties from little blue "mouse ears" to the ones with giant 3-foot long leaves, and many have very dramatic leaf coloration for the entire growing season, plus they are extremely hardy.

As @Everbrown says, depending on your space, think about whether you want flowers coming and going all year around or just in spring or whatever. Most flowering perennials are of relatively short duration so if you want season-long color you'll probably want to plan ahead so that as one plant starts losing flowers, another will start blossoming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I'm going to go to lowes and see what they've got, this after noon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
when selecting plants for shade, it is important to look at the leaves also, as they are even more important than the flowers in the shade. As with Coral Bells, forget me knots etc, and of course the hostas. I am a shade gardener. If you look on my You tube sight you will see many plants that work. the hardy geranium works well also.

Lowes, ???? really, there has got to be better in your area than that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lowes, ???? really, there has got to be better in your area than that.

@LilAnn , I agree with Esther - Lowes or other big box stores are only acceptable if you really have no other choices available for buying plants.
Compared to an independently-owned greenhouse staffed by garden geeks, big box stores have a woefully inadequate selection and uneducated staff. The one I go to (their stores are way more impressive than their website) has acres and acres of plants of all sorts divided by sections: shade, annual, ornamental grass, aquatic, fruiting, etc and etc. The staff are extremely knowledgeable and helpful and their prices are excellent. Plus shopping there supports locally-owned businesses, which is something I'm fairly emphatic about. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
:)Im
@LilAnn , I agree with Esther - Lowes or other big box stores are only acceptable if you really have no other choices available for buying plants.
Compared to an independently-owned greenhouse staffed by garden geeks, big box stores have a woefully inadequate selection and uneducated staff. The one I go to (their stores are way more impressive than their website) has acres and acres of plants of all sorts divided by sections: shade, annual, ornamental grass, aquatic, fruiting, etc and etc. The staff are extremely knowledgeable and helpful and their prices are excellent. Plus shopping there supports locally-owned businesses, which is something I'm fairly emphatic about

I agree! The big stores appear to have not only plants that won't survive in your area but have been artificially enhanced. I check out my local nursery at all times. They are very knowledgable and willing to help. In the early stages of my garden even came to my home to give advice. They are a lovely young couple, Leah and Seb( he is from Argentina with an accent that is sooooo lovely). They have two lovely little boys and a dog which greets you!!!! I must admit sometimes if I'm feeling a bit housebound I go for there for a wander and a chat. After all, I could always do with one more plant. :):rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I am trying to plant some flowers in a pretty shaded area. I'm wanting a variety of color, and I would really like them to be perennials. Any suggestions?
Hellebore or Winter Rose are a lovely shade plant and a come In a variety of fairly subtle colors and patterns. Mine should be starting to bloom soon as we half way through our first month of winter, not that I'm counting.......not sure if it's 10 or 11 weeks till Spring!!!!:(;):)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I cannot disagree with what others are saying about local more independent places but I also look around the big box places and get things there , more so if I am more or less experimenting and don't want to put a lot of money into something I may not do well with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I cannot disagree with what others are saying about local more independent places but I also look around the big box places and get things there , more so if I am more or less experimenting and don't want to put a lot of money into something I may not do well with.
I do too Everbrown. My local one is sometimes limited but I just check them out first. This one in particular is also competitively priced so it's a win win for me and because I'm a regular they often give me a discount!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Haste makes waste when gardening and selecting plants. If I was planting a new shade area, first I would start with a background basic, and that is hosta's (but) to save money, I would order from White flower farm their hosta collection, which is wonderful. Plant those. Then to add to those, I would add some astilbies, the red variety,---why red, because the leaves are red long after the flower goes, that complements any color hosta the collection sends you. Next. I would throw in some hardy geranium (the blue flower type) again the leaf shape would go well with both prior shapes and the color of the flower would be wonderful. then as a extra sprinkle of delight, throw in some white nancy the white color of that plant would be wonderful, the color of the flower goes well with all above. and now you have a lovely room.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, I agree with Everbrown. Sometimes it depends on your area. When we lived in rural western Pennsylvania, Lowe's was a big deal. There was a local nursery but it was very expensive and we couldn't afford it. We planted gorgeous peony bushes, gladioli, crocus and daffodils from Lowe's. Tis possible . . .;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh sorry I got carried away there. I wanted to add my support to Hosta. they are lovely and very low maintenance.

Ask a Question