Sequoias

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been to many places in this country, but I have not been to northern California. I love nature, and trees in particular. I think the redwoods would be amazing to see. I have read a lot about them. Some are 4,000 years old. I think I also read they only grown in northern California/extreme southern Oregon. Is this true? Have you seen them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen a sequoia in person, because they don't grow in my climate. I think they're amazing, beautiful trees! It's hard to believe that they're real;)

Reaction score
I have hiked through part of the Redwood forest in the Brookings area. It is not that far from where I live though it takes hours to drive there because you must make a huge "s" to get through the mountains. They are really beautiful and by far the largest trees I have ever seen. I would love to go back and see them again, though I don't look forward to the drive, I was nearly sick with all the curves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Do sequoias grow only in the mountains? I wish they weren't so rare, I'd love to see them in person.
This giant tree looks almost like it's photoshopped, lol;):

Sequoias3.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wonderful picture! I did some research since I started this thread, and they do only grow in the northern California naturally. I was a little taken back be the word "naturally". People are attempting to grow them some place other than there indigenous area? It makes me think of an episode of Futurama, where the character got a sequoia-growing kit (kind of like a Chia Pet). It gave instructions for planting, and then said, "Wait 4,000 years". Humorous, but some truth to it. Why plant them elsewhere? Is it for the people in 6000 A.D.?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sequoias are in a small part of Cali but there's Coastal Redwood that grows up to Southern Oregon. I used to visit these forests all the time as a kid. The trees that are surviving today are actually a lot younger than the ones that were cut down for lumber years ago. 96% of all the old growth sequoias and redwood are gone. The Coastal region of California and Southern Oregon provides the perfect unique climate for these trees to grow and thrive. I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to grow them elsewhere in the past, however without the constant temperate climate and moisture needed, they failed to cultivate them elsewhere in the world. The Olympic Peninsula of Washington also has a lot of enormous old growth trees as well, it in fact holds almost 50 of the nation's champion trees.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sequoias are in a small part of Cali but there's Coastal Redwood that grows up to Southern Oregon. I used to visit these forests all the time as a kid. The trees that are surviving today are actually a lot younger than the ones that were cut down for lumber years ago. 96% of all the old growth sequoias and redwood are gone. The Coastal region of California and Southern Oregon provides the perfect unique climate for these trees to grow and thrive. I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to grow them elsewhere in the past, however without the constant temperate climate and moisture needed, they failed to cultivate them elsewhere in the world. The Olympic Peninsula of Washington also has a lot of enormous old growth trees as well, it in fact holds almost 50 of the nation's champion trees.

I think I read that redwood trees grow up to sixty miles into Oregon from the south. It just flabbergasts me to think that people would cut down something to me to be akin to a living dinosaur. In the 1960's one was cut down by the Park Service, just to count it's rings! The Park Service would be the last people I would think that would kill such a rare species of tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Before people started thinking on conservation we were under the impression that things like this would last forever because it was in such abundance. The Atlantic Coast used to be so full of fish that there are multiple accounts that people theorized that you could practically walk on the schools of fish. The same mentality carried over with the trees that grew on the Coast. People thought that they would last forever and it wasn't until the 40's that we started to really realize that no, these resources weren't going to last forever. If you're talking about the Prometheus incident, that was a true tragedy. Conservation was still pretty much a new concept and the ranger unwittingly cut it down to help a scientist.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddiehah

Latest Threads