Rustic garden entrance / shed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a picture of my garden entrance that I just finished. I made it out of 150 year old barn boards and beams. The roof is a living roof with sedum and hens and chicks. Within a year or so the sedum should spread out and fill in the bare spots. I used sedum because it can stand up to the sun without a lot of attention and also I don't have to get the lawn mower up there. Once everything grows and the shed has "seasoned" it should look like it was always there.

Attachments

• garden shed 001.JPG
    garden shed 001.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 329
  • garden 002.JPG
    garden 002.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 319
Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Beautiful pictures yet again. I must say you have a great place there. How did you take that picture of the roof?o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I admire people who are artistic with their garden. We have a small backyard garden but there's no art in there, not even a tiny bit because we are not creative when it comes to decorating. The original owner of this house has a small orchidarium but we didn't continue with orchids. Instead, we planted dragon fruit that now clings to the iron bars that used to be for orchids.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I admire people who are artistic with their garden. We have a small backyard garden but there's no art in there, not even a tiny bit because we are not creative when it comes to decorating. The original owner of this house has a small orchidarium but we didn't continue with orchids. Instead, we planted dragon fruit that now clings to the iron bars that used to be for orchids.
You can get really good ideas on Youtube as well as Pinterest

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful pictures yet again. I must say you have a great place there. How did you take that picture of the roof?o_O
since the roof is new it has to be weeded so that means getting out the ladder. I was lucky when I bought the plants they were on sale for fifty cents each marked down for three dollars each, so I took all they had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I really like this- I have been reading up on some of the air ferns, succulents and plants that can be used for all sorts of side decorative plantings. As much as I would like to do a roof I don't think it would last thru a winter here, but the side frames might. Best thing is I can detach and put indoors for the winter.

I think on the shed I might have gone for a thyme instead of sedum, There are trailing versions with cute flowers that would eventually have filled in and started to drape down, but I am curious just the same to see the results with the Sedum will you send us another pic as it gets established and blooms?
cf6acd4546e07e49dd137dfd39274eb4.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really like this- I have been reading up on some of the air ferns, succulents and plants that can be used for all sorts of side decorative plantings. As much as I would like to do a roof I don't think it would last thru a winter here, but the side frames might. Best thing is I can detach and put indoors for the winter.

I think on the shed I might have gone for a thyme instead of sedum, There are trailing versions with cute flowers that would eventually have filled in and started to drape down, but I am curious just the same to see the results with the Sedum will you send us another pic as it gets established and blooms?
cf6acd4546e07e49dd137dfd39274eb4.jpg
Is it the plants or the roof that you feel wouldn't last? I thought about several different plants but settled on the sedium because of the conditions it would have to grow in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As long as the pitch isn't too steep it will stay. This one is 20 degrees.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very nice statement. I like to look on Pinterest for ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is beautiful and you are very creative! Love the roof!

Ask a Question