Roses From Amazon

Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying some rose seed packets from Amazon and let me tell you. Never again. Not a single one came up and I followed the directions to the letter. After looking into this I found that there are tons of people who had the same problems with seeds from Amazon. This is one area of Amazon that needs to be cleaned up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for the warning. I'm lucky, I've never tried to order any roses from Amazon. The shipping costs are too high. Almost all of my roses were bought in local supermarkets and florist shops.

Reaction score
Hi taki and welcome - although it is possible to grow a rose from seed - I think to be honest - that its something best left to the breeders who are experts at using this method to create new rose varieties - for the simple reason that for the average gardener the results can be extremely disappointing - as apart from the fact that the seeds very rarely come true to the mother plant - they are notoriously hard to germinate and even once germinated the seedlings are difficult to keep alive - unless you have the ideal conditions and temperatures to keep them in.

Which is why if you want to propagate a rose - the best way of doing it - is to take stem cuttings and insert them into the ground and if done at the right time of year - they will soon reward you with the beginnings of a new rose bush - which is far more satisfying than that of waiting 3 - 4 years for a seed reared rose bush to reach the size of the ones that you see in the nurseries - only to find that it doesn't even resemble the mother plant - especially after all the effort involved of nurturing it to that stage.

In order not to be disappointed again - when buying seeds online I think its always best to only buy seeds from reputable seed suppliers - who are known to supply quality seeds :)

Reaction score
Hi taki and welcome - although it is possible to grow a rose from seed - I think to be honest - that its something best left to the breeders who are experts at using this method to create new rose varieties - for the simple reason that for the average gardener the results can be extremely disappointing - as apart from the fact that the seeds very rarely come true to the mother plant - they are notoriously hard to germinate and even once germinated the seedlings are difficult to keep alive - unless you have the ideal conditions and temperatures to keep them in.

Which is why if you want to propagate a rose - the best way of doing it - is to take stem cuttings and insert them into the ground and if done at the right time of year - they will soon reward you with the beginnings of a new rose bush - which is far more satisfying than that of waiting 3 - 4 years for a seed reared rose bush to reach the size of the ones that you see in the nurseries - only to find that it doesn't even resemble the mother plant - especially after all the effort involved of nurturing it to that stage.

In order not to be disappointed again - when buying seeds online I think its always best to only buy seeds from reputable seed suppliers - who are known to supply quality seeds :)

Thanks for the tips. I had no idea that roses were so complicated to raise. This is the first time I have tried to raise roses from seed but I didn't feel I had any choice as there are no actual plants near me that are similar to the ones I planted.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I had no idea that roses were so complicated to raise. This is the first time I have tried to raise roses from seed but I didn't feel I had any choice as there are no actual plants near me that are similar to the ones I planted.

My pleasure - although I do feel that I possibly didn't word my response too well - as I think you might have misunderstood me and therefore would just like to clarify - that roses are only complicated to grow when raised from seed .

Which is especially important to know - as roses are normally considered to be some of the easiest plants to grow - on top of which there is the added bonus of being able to multiply the number of bushes that you have for free - as they are very easy to propagate from stem cuttings - as they almost always take if done at the right time of year - but that said I do see that you would have a problem doing this - if there were no rose bushes near by to take a cutting from and therefore think that if you are after a particular variety - the best solution would probably be to acquire a young plant from your local nursery :)

Ask a Question