Rosemary oil, pesticide or herbicide?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, this is my first post here.
I have an indoor houseplant, a Jamaican heliconia, with spider mites, I think. (I tapped the leaves, and some tiny crawlers fell off onto a piece of white paper. (Actually, they weren't as round as I expect from mites. Unless they're in a different stage of development? In any case, I decided to treat the plant regardless).

I did an application of some insecticidal soap I have around, but late I was checking the web, and see rosemary oil mentioned to treat spider mites. That struck me as odd, since they sell rosemary oil is an herbicide. I have some, "EcoSmart, Organic Herbicide" who's active ingredients are, "Rosemary Oil 1.0%, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate .06%, Other Ingredients 98.94%". This is sprayed directly on undesired plants to kill them. However, I've seen rosemary oil mentioned online to treat mites on plants, and it is used at 1 or 2%.

So, which is it? How can I use an herbicide to protect a plant? I might think that it's he sodium lauryl sulfate that makes it toxic to the plant, but this is a detergent, and dish detergent can be used to treat infested plants also. Although the insecticidal soap I have is a soap and not a detergent (if that distinction makes a difference?)

Any knowledge out there?

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Welcome to the forum. sadly, I cannot answer your answer because I have never used rosemary either as pesticide or as herbicide. I use rosemary for different purpose.

Ask a Question